Chapter 38: Scott POV

It was the day of the trial.

I knew because I heard guards on the floor above me, probably dozens of them, begin to head down the stairs. I was half panicked, half relieved, because my neck had already been cramped for the past day thanks to the uncomfortable position. I was also going to see Erin. Finally, I'd be able to see if Gem had been telling the truth about her being ok. Because she didn't look ok on that stretcher...

The door opened, and several people came in, followed by Gem and Fwhip. No one said a word as they took the clamps off my wrists but then chained them together in front of me. They put almost identical shackles on my ankles, and then they released me from the wall.

After, they yanked me roughly to my feet and began marching me out of the cell.

"Ready for your big day?" Fwhip asked with a cocky grin.

"Shut the hell up." I answered, my voice hoarse from not talking.

I blinked rapidly in the sunlight outside, which I hadn't seen for days. Everyone was tense around me, and that made me even more anxious. I hadn't seen Erin yet either.

They pulled me out of the gates, and I saw three black cars pulled up. I gulped. I had a bad experience with cars. Me and a few of my old friends may have crashed one when we were teenagers... They roughly forced me into the back of one, shoving me into the middle and locking the doors. The divider was up, so I was alone in the back.

It felt like an eternity later when the car stopped. I felt like I was going to vomit everywhere. Did I mention I hate automobiles?

The doors opened and more guards dragged me out. The windows of the car had been tinted, so I had no idea where we were going. But now I saw we were in front of THE courthouse. The one where all serious matters are dealt with, like murder and royal situations. I guess me and Erin were considered both, in a way.

The large, intricate faux steel doors opened, and they led me inside. The entrance hall was huge with an arched roof made from marble, along with pillars. The velvet carpet stretched along down the hall, and through a slightly opened door in front of us.

I was surprised when the guards let go of me. "Go." One of them said. I gulped, and continued forward without their help, and through the doors.

The courtroom was twice the size of the entrance hall. A gorgeous chandelier made from crystal and gold hung from the ceiling. The walls were paneled white, red, and gold and pews lined the room. In front of me, at the opposite end of the hall was a judge's bench. It infuriated me that Fwhip sat behind it. Pretty positive he wasn't a licensed judge, or lawyer even.

I heard muttering around the room at my entrance. I recognized all the rulers out of the corner of my eye as I stood there. I was also surprised to see the old Count Benedict and Countess Victoria, Fwhip and Gem's parents. See, the Grimlands have a tradition to hand off the kingdom to their eldest when they turn 21. It's supposed to give the kingdom younger rulers, with newer ideas. I kind of see the point.

I glanced to either side of me, before proceeding down the hall, my head held high, and glaring directly in front of me at Fwhip, who was giving me an identical one. I stopped right in front of the last end of pews, where the offender and defendant would stand with the accused and accuser. When I saw no lawyers I knew immediately, this would not be a normal trial.

"Scott Gilded Major." Fwhip said, addressing me, his voice amplified so everyone in the court could hear him. "You stand here accused of-"