Chapter 72: Scott POV

As soon as Fwhip and Erin had broken off from us, Gem grabbed my wrist. "We can't worry about them now, though I will say that if they kill each other in the process of trying to catch these guys I called it."

I swallowed a lump forming in my throat, feeling horrible about how this would go... but I snapped back to reality as I chased after Gem. There was no way we could chase after those automobiles, and we watched hopelessly as they sped around the corner.

"Carry me."

Gem's voice cut through the delusions I was creating in my head, every way this situation may go. Somehow, I ended up in between the jaws of one of Shrub's wolves in one of them. "Wha— what?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You can fly. Carry me." She said, sounding entirely serious. "Hurry up, we don't have a lot of time!"

I blinked, before nodding and pulling Gem closer a bit tentatively.

"Oh my god Scott you are so awkward just—" She grabbed my arms, pulling them around her waist. "Now. Let's. Go."

I clenched my jaw, giving her a quick glare of annoyance before tightening my arms around her torso and unfolding my wings, propelling us into the air. Gem hooked her arms around my neck to support herself better, narrowing her eyes as she peered around for the cars. "There!" she declared a moment later just as I too spotted the van-like car. I immediately dove, feeling Gem's fingernails dig sharply into the back of my neck, like mini needles being stabbed into my skin.

I trailed behind closely, my hair whipping in front of my line of sight making it harder to see, the dry but chilly winds of the Grimlands hardly stinging my skin with its cold, cold that I was used to. But this cold didn't nearly penetrate my bones as my own did, didn't come close to the crawling feeling of goosebumps plaguing my skin like an infestation. Didn't chap my lips and hands till the point they bled and my mouth near permanently tasted metallic. Didn't bite at my fingers and ears as if eating away at them slowly...

I propelled us farther down towards the van that I guessed to be a little less than fifteen feet long, and we landed with a thud on the roof. One that would have most definitely alerted those who had been inside it of our presence.

Gem dropped away from me, holding onto the edges of the van as her red braid whipped behind her which at first glance looked like fire trailing from her head.

I tucked my wings tightly to my back so they wouldn't get tossed around and catch the wind that was going at who knows how many miles per hour. Because if it hit my wings at the right angle, I would be thrown off the van without a second to spare or figure out what was happening.

The rush I felt as the van sped through the city with us on the roof was slightly overwhelming. It pounded through my body, forcing my thoughts to run faster than ever in tune with the thudding of the car in the potholes on the street.

Just as I had suspected, they did know we were here. With the snap of one of the car doors opening, two of the intruders had flipped themselves onto the roof to face us.

My eyes narrowed as I held tighter to the roof, watching their sickle-like knives glint in the setting sun just barely peeking through the stormy grey sky.

Then one lunged, straight for me. I narrowly dodged, hearing the metallic swish of the blade vibrate just by my ear as I landed on my side. I kicked one of his shins out from under him with my heel, and he fell forward to hit the sheet of metal onto his chest, narrowly missing sliding off if not for driving the point of his sickle into the roof of the car with an unbearable grinding noise.