Chapter 53: James POV

I shouted in panic as coils of red magic wrapped around my waist and threw me across the ground. That's when I heard Gem's scream.

I looked up and saw Scott, covered in flames, get launched from the arch. "JOEY!" I screamed and pointed towards the scene.

The blonde looked up, his eyes widening before he ran and dove over the edge of the cliff, his wings spreading, after Scott. I watched the anger in Xornoth's face instantly turn into regret as he watched what I couldn't see over the cliff edge.

But, after I heard a frustrated grunt, Scott and Joey appeared over the platform and tumbled across the ground. Joey staggered up, covered in sweat and panting, but Scott stayed on the ground, motionless.

"JIMMY, GRAB SHRUB!" Katherine shouted as she blocked a blow from Erin daggers. I saw the gnome's small body a few feet behind me, and I sprinted to her figure before picking her up carefully.

I saw Fwhip and Sausage from the corner of my eye grab Scott from under the arms, while Joey shielded him from Xornoth with a look of panic and fear. If looks could kill, Joey would have died there and then under Xornoth's glare, but I was surprised when the avian stood his ground, keeping his sword held at chest level.

"LET'S GO!" Pearl called, with a bloody cut on her forehead. I was extremely shocked when Erin backed away towards the dragon egg. But then she saw me with Shrub and launched herself at me. I dove to the right, skidding on my back to avoid her. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Lizzie helping me up.

"COME ON!" She said, and we ran back down to the steep mountain side we had come up on.

I glanced back to Gem, who had one look on her face. 'Run'

And we did. We kept running. Me and Lizzie led the group as we ran in every direction. After I'd guess maybe 15 minutes, we took a sharp left into a cave. Everyone filed in quickly, and we sat there in silence for a few moments before I gently placed down Shrub.

"We need to go back for Gem!" Fwhip said angrily.

"We can't yet." Katherine said, before taking a deep breath and yanking Erin's dagger from her back, unfolding a wrap bandage she had concealed in a pocket off her belt, taking her breastplate off, and dressing the wound. "We need a plan of attack. And we can't do that without Scott."

I glanced at where they had laid him, by the wall. He was clearly unconscious, his chest rising and falling with his even breathes. I bit my lip and looked from him to Shrub who was laying close by.

"She can't bring Xornoth back." Sausage murmured. I noticed Joey still had the same panicked look.

"Well, it looks like she is." Lizzie sighed.

Joel looked around at everyone. "Who?" he asked. This man...

"Maybe the guy who threw Scott off the cliff?" I suggested. This made Joel look even more confused. "You know what? I'm not doing this."

"Now we just wait for them to wake up?" Pix asked. My gaze wandered back to Scott.

"Yup..."

***

Sorry for the short chapters recently. Been busy and writer's block sucks :/ But good news, I have a long chapter coming sooo Idk honestly, it should come out on Friday. Anyways have a great day everyone.