10

_____________________________

𝑨𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒊 𝑪𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒓
𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒙
_____________________________

My parents had decided that it would be best if I missed school today so I had been in the house all day bored

My parents had decided that it would be best if I missed school today so I had been in the house all day bored. It had been quiet all day, my parents were discussing what they would do to punish me so that meant I got the silent treatment until they figured it out. I spent most of the day watching tv since I didn't have anything else to do. Man, I knew that party was a stupid idea.

It had gotten dark outside when my parents finally called me out to the living room. "Sit down." My dad said to me. I nodded and sat down. "I just want to start this off by saying that we're not mad at you... just disappointed." Was the first thing that came out of my mom's mouth.

I looked down, making my parents mad was one thing but when they were disappointed it made me feel horrible. "I mean I thought that we were close Amari, why did you feel like you couldn't tell me where you were going to that party?" My mom asked me. "We are close... I just... I knew you wouldn't let me go..." I sighed.

"For good reason, anything could've happened Amari." My dad said to me. "I know-" I started to talk before he cut me off. "You don't know Amari, gunshots were fired that night." Yeah... I know, "You could've gotten hurt." My mom put her hand on his. I looked down and nodded. "I'm sorry..."

"Sorry isn't going to cut it, we're going to need to see a change... your grades are getting worse, you're going out more, and you obviously don't care about your own safety... what do you even want to do with your life, Amari? I haven't even seen you working on your music, I feel like I'm not even looking at my little girl anymore" I looked up at my dad shocked. Okay, this is a lot worse than disappointment.

"I... I don't want you to feel that way..." I said to them. "We used to spend so much time together, what happened to that?" My mom asked me. "I don't know..." I started to tear up so I looked away from them. "We just want our baby back." She said to me. I nodded "I'll try to be better, I promise..." I still couldn't look over at them.