42

_____________________________

𝑨𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒊 𝑪𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒓
𝑴𝒂𝒏𝒉𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒂𝒏
____________________________

I walked around the empty apartment with Kay and the apartment leasing agent

I walked around the empty apartment with Kay and the apartment leasing agent. "And if you like cooking this is the perfect kitchen." She led us to the kitchen. It was a lot bigger than our last kitchen with white wood cabinets and counters.

"Do you like it?" Kay asked me. I touched the porcelain countertops "It's nice..." I walked over to the stove "It's a gas stove." The lady walked next to me. I nodded at her "It's nice..." She then led us to the living room area "And the living room is full of space, you could put anything you want in here." She started to talk about all the upsides of the living room.

I looked around the living room area. Floor-to-ceiling windows, a lot of space, and even had a wall to hang up the tv. Pretty but way too big for the three of us.

Once the whole tour was over Kay and I left "What did you think about it?" He pulled off

Once the whole tour was over Kay and I left "What did you think about it?" He pulled off. "I mean it's nice... big." I said to him, personally, I thought our old apartment was the perfect size. "I know right and we gon' have a nice ass view at night." I could tell he liked it.

"Yeah but it's in Manhattan." I got on my phone. Kay just shrugged "I mean the whole point is to get out of the hood." He looked over at me. "What's wrong wit you?" I just shook my head in response to him. I heard him smack his lips "What's wrong, Amari." He asked again.

"It's nothing... well... I'm just worried..." I said to him. "Worried bout what?" He looked back at the road. "It's just like... we're going to have a baby... a real baby... and you're still in the streets, I don't want my baby to be raised around that." I just let him know how I felt.

"And they won't be... Amari, we gon' be aight." He just didn't know how unsettling that is really, I just don't want him to get hurt. "How do you know that tho..? I mean really, how do you know that we gon be 'aight', Kevin?" I asked him. "I got everything planned out, once this music stuff pop off-" I cut him off "The music has been popping off and you're still in the streets." I put my phone on my lap and looked at him.

He sighed and shook his head "Amari I ain't tryna hear this bro." Kay started shaking his head. "I just think it's stupid for you to be on da block with a hunnit thousand on yo neck, Kevin anything could happen." At this point, my whole body was turned toward him.

"Ain't nothing gon happen, if anybody try somethin' imma boom em." I just rolled my eyes. "So you think bein' locked up is better than being dead? Either way, our baby is going to grow up without a father and I don't want that."

"Well you should've thought about that before we got together, you knew what I was and what I do." He said with that nonchalant ass tone. "But I don't want that for us forever... we're supposed to mature, you not supposed to be in the streets in yo thirties-" He cut me off "Well the streets is keepin' yo bills paid, it's payin' fa ya nails, the gas in ya car, the apartment you sleepin' in... that's all me bein' in da streets." I could tell that he was getting upset so I just decided to drop it. "Whatever Kevin..."

Once we finally got home I went to our bedroom and found something comfortable to change into

Once we finally got home I went to our bedroom and found something comfortable to change into. "Uh... you hungry?" Kay asked me. I shrugged and went to the bathroom. "Aight..." He left our bedroom going god knows where.

After my shower, one that I could admit took a lot longer than usual, I climbed into bed. I scrolled through my phone for about thirty minutes before Kay entered the room. "I ordered yo favorite..." He got in bed and handed me a takeout box. "Thank you." I sat up and opened the box.

We sat in silence for a while and ate our food. "So you want to get your hair done..? Remember you showed me? How much dey cost?" He's trying to bribe me again. I looked at him "I think it was like 320." I said to him. "Fa some braids? Damn... dat shit better come wit insurance or something." He grabbed a few hundred out of the stack of money and then handed it to me. I set the money on my nightstand "Thank you."

Once I was done with the food I handed the takeout box to Kay "Throw this away for me." I said to him. He nodded and got out of bed leaving the room. I turned on Empire and started to watch tv.

When he came back he was talking to his phone "We ain't on shit... just in the house." Kay got back in bed. I looked at his phone and saw that he was on live. Kay pulled me closer to him and laid his head on my chest "What did we do today? We been in da house all day." He lied to them, I guess he didn't want to let nobody know we're moving. I just kept my eyes on the tv and tried to focus on my show.

"Baby they want to kno why you ain't talkin." He looked up at me. I looked down at his phone and waved "Hey~" I looked back at the tv. Kay smacked his lips "She actin' fake right now... she not fuckin' wit y'all." He looked back down at his phone. Nah nigga, I'm not fuckin' wit you. I rolled my eyes and shook my head "Kay you heavy~" I complained and pushed his head off of me "Big head ass." I put some space in between us.

"Girl you love my big head." He pulled me back over to him and laid his head on me again. "You get on my nerves..." I started to play with his hair. "Lemme get a kiss." Kay lifted his head a little and leaned forward. I just stared at him for a second before he leaned all the way in.

After he pecked my lips he started to kiss all around my face. I just sat there and let him violate my whole being before he laid his head my on my chest "I love you girl." He said to me. "Mhm... I love you too." I looked back at the tv, even if you do get on my last nerve.

-J