Best friend - Natasha X Reader

I walk into the living room and Natasha is sitting with both her legs swung over the armrest of her chair. I chuckle a little at her and her attention quickly turns away from her phone and to me. "What in the world are you laughing at?" She asks me. 

"Do you know how gay you look right now?" I ask her and rest on the kitchen island. She looks at me offended and sits upright, spreading her legs and resting her elbows on her knees, "Even sitting normally you can't do," I say and point at her. 

Defeated she stands up and walks over to me, I am now sitting on the island. "Okay one, I am not gay, two, I and with Steve and I love Steve," I roll my eyes at her statement and shake my head, "Okay Y/n, what is it now?"

"How many times are you going to tell yourself that before you believe it?" I ask her and she gives me a look of defeat. 

"Stop it, you know nothing about Steve and Is' relationship, and as my best friend, that's disappointing," She responds angrily and turns her back to me.

"My actions as a best friend might be disappointing, but your's for sure are not any better," I say back, this calm conversation that started as a joke, has now turned into a game of kickball, and at this point, we are just throwing things back and forth.

"That is not true and you know it just as well as I do, I have been a good friend to you for years, I took you in, I helped you get back on your feet, and I loved you when you needed me too," 

"That is true I will give you that, but I will not let you stand here and lie to my face about your love for Steve, you might've loved him at one point, but we both know damn well that, that stopped, rather quickly, we both know why, and we both know when," I say in an attempt to defend myself, while still keeping calm.

"Jesus Christ, you don't know when to stop, do you? Saying all this crap like you know what's been going on." She yells at me, I take a deep breath and point my hand out to grab hers but pull it back when she walks further away from me. "You left me Y/n, not the other way around, you chose Wanda, and I still chose you, knowing that I couldn't and that I shouldn't, I still did, I have been listening to you bitching and moaning about how miserable your life is with her, and that you're just waiting to break up with her at this point, so why in gods fucking name won't you?" Every single thing she's said about me and Wanda is true, we are miserable, and our relationship is miserable. But her having waited for me surprises me, and she can see that on my face. 

"Nat, I didn't; I love Wanda, and you know this, so why are you still questioning our relationship, as you have from the beginning," I ask her, angry, and confused.

The expression on her face changes completely, "I am going to ask you this, one last time, and then I am done, why, in the world, do you keep doing this? You break my heart over and over again, why? Why in the world do you keep breaking my heart?" 

"Why didn't you tell me that I broke your heart, over and over again?" I say in a mocking tone, 

"How could I? You shut me out, took all your stuff, moved out of my apartment within a day, and started living in the compound again, you changed your whole schedule and stopped coming to morning training, I would be lucky if you answered my calls, more so my texts. And don't you dare tell me that you have had other plans, or more important things to do because we both know that you hate living in the compound." I run my hands through my hair and a pit grows in my stomach because all of this is true, I did move out, I did change my schedule, and the thing with the phone is true too. 

"I don't know what to say other than I am sorry," I walk over to her and place my hands on either side of her face, "I am so so sorry, I love you, Natasha, you are my best friend, and I am so sorry," I very and wrap my arms around her. 

"I love you too," She mumbles. 

We stand there for a good five minutes before we break the hug, I grab her hand and apologize to her again. "Y/n, you can let go of my hand you know," She says, I look down at our hands and keep my hold on her. 

"I don't think I want to do that, I like touching you, and not in a weird way, your touch just makes me feel, safe, in a way that no one else does, and I think that's why I did what I did, I tried to make Wanda something she isn't," I look down at her feet and her hand forces me to look her in the eyes. 

"And what is that?" She asks. 

"I tried to make her you, I tried to make her home, but I can't, because I already had one, I had you, I was just too blind to see it," Her arms force their way around me, and her grip tightens. 

"You still have me, Y/n, you always have, and I'm sorry for not making the effort to tell you sooner," Her hands glide down my arms and our fingers intervene. "But I think, at this time, we need to take a step back and look at what we're really doing, just no matter what, you're my best friend, someday, maybe more, but not now, it isn't fair, to anybody involved I know that, but it's how it needs to be." Though her words hurt, I nod in agreement and let go of her.

This time, it's my turn to watch her walk away, and watch her open the door, "Y/n," She says, hand still on the handle. 

Mhm? 

"Call me later, and just so you know, you still have a bed at my place, you always will," The door shuts behind her, and I stumble back into the kitchen island, our whole conversation repeats in my head, the way she looked at me, the subtle body language, the way her lips tightened, and that when I grabbed her hand she didn't even flinch like she normally would. 

LOL, this is messy. Anyways, stole a lyric or two from TayTay, so credit to her! Stay safe, love ya!