rinney- trouble sleeping (3)

Robin is awoken by Finney's tossing and turning next to him. He opens his eyes and frowns when the glowing red numbers of his alarm clock glare back at him: 2:39 a.m. He rolls over to face his husband and sighs when he sees Finney's face scrunched up in annoyance, a few tears slowly running down his face. He reaches up to wipe them away with his thumb.

"What's wrong baby?" He whispers, not wanting to startle the younger man.

Finney turns his head to the side to look at Robin. He groans quietly and takes one of Robin's hand to press it to the side of his bump, where Robin can feel the baby's strong kicks.

"Your son is keeping me up again." He mumbles as a fresh set of tears start rolling down his cheeks.

They had found out they were expecting a boy at Finney's 20 week appointment and Robin had been ecstatic. He would have been happy regardless of what the baby's gender turned out to be, but he was still hoping for a little boy; a son to teach basketball to and to play rough with. Finney had indulged in his husband's silliness and had smiled fondly as Robin proudly announced to their friends and family they would be having a son. A week ago, the baby had also made his presence known for the first time with a strong kick. Both parents-to-be had been over the moon to finally feel him move, making the whole thing seem much more real now. But it's as if, now that he could do it, the baby would not stop kicking. While Finney found it funny and endearing the first few days and nights, exhaustion was setting in and he was starting to be over it.

"Oh baby." Robin coos, scooting closer to his husband to wrap him in a warm hug, Finney's swollen middle starting to get in the way slightly.

Finney curls up against his husband's chest, whining quietly as their son continues to move and kick around in his belly. "I just want to sleep Rob, please." He begs, trying to stop the tears from streaming down his face.

"I know baby, I know." Robin sighs as one of his hands moves up to play with Finney's curls. He holds the younger man for a few minutes before an idea pops into his head. "Let's get you comfortable darling."

He helps shuffle Finney onto his side, propping a pillow under his hips for support and brings the duvet up to his neck. He presses a tender kiss to Finney's soft lips before inching his way down the bed, stoping when he's face to face with Finney's bump. He places his hands on it over the duvet, rubbing slow loving circles over the swollen skin.

"Hey baby, it's Papa." He whispers, his face inches away from the bump. "Your Daddy says you can hear what we're saying now, says I have to stop swearing when he's around so you don't come out talking like your uncle Vance." He smiles slightly as he hears Finney giggle from the head of the bed.

"I know you just found out about this new trick and you're eager to let us know you're in there, but maybe stick to daytime yeah?" He pauses for a second, glancing up at Finney, who's eyes are staring to slip shut. "You're making your Daddy miserable baby. He's working really hard to keep you healthy and make you a nice home and he's really tired from it. You kicking around at all hours of the night in there really isn't helping either. Let's make a deal yeah? You let your Daddy sleep at night from now on and I promise when you come out, I'll spoil you rotten. Deal?"

He smiles as he looks up again, seing Finney sleeping peacefully against his pillow, his mouth hanging open and letting out a few soft snores. He carefully inches his way back up the bed to lay his head on his own pillow, thankful that he was able to help Finney drift off to sleep.