rinney- ultravoilence

"You agreed to go out with her? Please tell me you're kidding. Tell me you're joking right now." Finney crosses his arms and raises his eyebrows, waiting expectantly.

Robin sighs and throws his hands up. "No, I'm not kidding. I said I'd go out with her. But she knows it won't go anywhere! I did it to be nice!"

"'I did it to be nice,'" Finney mocks in a high-pitched tone. "Well, if that's the case, then it's fine!"

The other two in the room glance at each other awkwardly, unsure of how the conversation unraveled so quickly. "Do we say something?" Bruce leans in and whispers.

Donna shrugs. "We better not. Could make things worse." She replies in an equally low tone.

They had been hanging out at Robin's place when Robin mentioned in passing that a girl he'd graduated with asked him if he wanted to hang out.

"It's not her fault, Finney!" The spectators give each other a worried glance; Robin only called him that when he became really agitated. "It's not like she knows about... us. What we are. How could she?"

Finney pinches the bridge of his nose. "I'm not blaming her for asking you out! I'm blaming you for agreeing! What, you gonna start ignoring me and taking out whatever whore happens to call you up that day?"

Silence. With that one sentence, it was like all the air had been sucked out of the room. Finney bites his lip; he knows he went too far. "I'm sorry, that was uncalled for; Michelle isn't a whore. But... do you see what I'm saying?"

"No, I don't!" Robin bites back. "I think you're being jealous and petty. And for lord's sake, I'm not fucking ignoring you! She asked if I wanted to catch up over lunch since we used to hang out sometimes during school; that's it. Get your head out of your ass; it's not a hat!"

The other boy opens his mouth to say something but clamps it shut instead and stalks out of the room.

"This is just great. This is fan-fucking-tastic." Robin mutters as he combs a hand through his hair. Turning around, he sees his two friends sitting on the couch, and light color tints his cheeks. He rubs the back of his neck with his hand. "Sorry you guys had to see that. I didn't think he'd mind so much."

Donna rolls her eyes good-naturedly. "Other than being mildly uncomfortable, we don't really care. Your house, your relationship. Now stop chit-chatting with us and go to him."

"Right, got it. Thank you, oh Great Relationship Expert."

She gives him a smirk and a two-finger salute as he turns from the living room.

Robin finds Finney pacing in the dining room, wearing a path on the floor. He's biting at his thumbnail and mumbling to himself here and there. When he sees Robin lurking in the doorway, he stops and plops down in a chair.

Without saying a word, Robin pulls another chair around, so he and Finney are back to back. The two don't move for ten minutes until Robin moves a hand in Finney's direction, and Finney only hesitates a moment before taking it.

Robin smiles to himself, content with sitting here as long as he needs to. They could work it out later. For now, actions spoke much louder than anything either of them could say.