rinney- mafia

5 Times Finney Thought Robin was Acting Suspicious + 1 Time Finney Knew Exactly What Robin was Up To

1-

Finney was just looking for the spare towels honest to god. Robin was finally inviting him over aftering dating for like a year and he didn't want to lose that privilege because his morning shower left a big puddle of water on the bathroom floor. Really he was just looking for a towel and he found it...but he also found something hidden between the folds.

"What the fuck?" Finney murmured to himself as he picked up the heavy, cold, and loaded pistol. He turned his wrist to inspect it from every angle before shaking his head.

"I don't have time to unpack this." He concluded, setting it back down in the cabinet and taking the towel to the sopping wet floor.

2-

Finney groaned as he rolled over, still half asleep and barely catching sight of his boyfriend out of bed in the darkness.

"Robin?"

Warm, dry lips pressed quickly to his.

"Go back to sleep. Just gotta take care of something real fast."

This close Finney could see Robin dressed in a full suit.

"Why are you dressed like that? What time is it?"

Robin put a hand on his chest and forced him to lay back down. Once he was sure Finney wouldn't get back up he removed his hand. Finney waited to fall asleep until after Robin was gone.

3-

Finney was weirded out. He kept feeling eyes on him everywhere. Robin didn't seem to notice or maybe he didn't care. Why was everyone in this restaurant watching them?

"Robin..."

"It's all good, Finn." Robin didn't even look up from his steak, but after the silence that followed he set down his silverware and reached toward Finney, palm facing up. Finney rested his hand right on top and watched Robin's fingers curl over his.

"We're safe. Promise."

"Safe from what?" Finney asked, not feeling any better from these assurances. There were just more questions. Where did Robin sometimes go at night? Why were their guns and knives hidden all over his house? Who or what were they safe from?

"Refill boss? I-I mean sir?" Their waiter's face paled as he awaited Robin's answer. But Robin didn't even acknowledge him, he just kept looking into Finney's eyes and rubbing his thumb across the back of Finney's hand. Eventually, maybe after seeing something in Finney's eyes that satisfied him, he let go of Finney and went back to his meal, nodding at the "waiter" to refill his drink.

4-

Robin had told Finney to stay upstairs but it's been hours and Finney is starving. There was leftover pizza in the fridge. He could just run down, grab it, and run right back up and Robin would be none the wiser.

Finney's halfway down the stairs when he hears the murmur of conversation in the living room. The kitchen is on the opposite side of the stairs so Finney wasn't going to disrupt anything.

Pizza box in hand Finney was ready to run back upstairs when he heard his name. Unable to stick with his plan he set the pizza box down at the base of the stairs and crept silently toward the din of noise.

The second Finney crossed the threshold into the living room the noise stopped and all eyes were on him. He swallowed heavily as his eyes swiveled to each blank face until he reached the one he loved. Robin looked as impassive as the rest of them, but his eyes were heated in a way Finney knew meant he fucked up.

"Sorry." Finney blushed and retreated backward, too freaked out to take his pizza box with him.

5-

The thing is Finney wasn't stupid. He was a little slow on the uptake sometimes yeah but he wasn't an idiot. He needed to talk to his boyfriend about all he's seen, all that's been running through his brain. Opening the door to their place Finney planned to change out of his work clothes, track Robin down, and finally get some answers.

Except when the door was finally opened he found himself faced with yet more questions. There at the base of the stairs lay Robin, breathing heavily and clutching his side, his fingers wet with fresh blood.

"Baby?" Finney rushed toward Robin, falling on his knees before him.

"Baby? Hey come on Rob, answer me." Finney begged, shaking him by the shoulders until his eyes opened.

"Hey." Robin groaned with a weak smile. "Think you can take on more patient before your shift ends?"

Finney rolled his watery eyes and gingerly pulled Robin's messy hand away from his side.

"You got shot, Robin!" Finney's breath caught at the sight of the wound.

"Yeah. Yeah I know I got shot."

Robin gave him a look. A look of resignation, of contemplation, of affection, of finality. He brought his bloodied hand up to Finney's cheek, holding Finney's eyes to his with the movement. After what seems like hours he let his hand and gaze fall from Finney, blood loss sending him into darkness.

+1-

The bright lights made it impossible for Robin to fall back asleep and now that he was awake he was sore and uncomfortable. He groaned, squinting his eyes open to get his bearings. Great, the hospital. The last place he should be.

"Hey, take it easy." His boyfriend cooed softly at his side. It reminded Robin of home, of Finney wrapped around him keeping him warm, safe, and loved.

Opening his eyes fully he took in the dirty blonde hair, countless freckles, and wide brown eyes. He was still in his EMT uniform, still smeared with Robin's blood. He hadn't left Robin's side. Robin didn't want him to leave. Finney didn't deserve to be lied to anymore. He deserves the chance to love Robin fully, for all he is.

"Finn, I have to tell you something important." He starts before clearing his throat and accepting the offered cup of water. Taking long pulls of cool water from the straw he took a moment to look at Finney one more time, in case it was the last time he ever got to look. Steeling himself he pushed the water away from his face and sat up as best he could with a hole in his gut.

"Listen, I'm just gonna say it. I'm mafia. A mobster. Certified gangster."

Finney put his cup down slowly, silently. Robin felt thirsty all over again, throat dry and heart unmoving in his chest. Finney pulled his chair closer, sat down, and took Robin's hand in his.

"I know. Well, I didn't know know but I know now."

Robin looked at his hand cradled in Finney's, the hold delicate but firm like he didn't plan on going anywhere.

"You cool with that?"

Finney shrugged, "Can you promise not to get shot again?"