1

The room was dark, cold and damp. The silent whimper that came from the back of my throat scared me more then this basement. Mommy and daddy should be home soon, they'll rescue me from this place. My uncle Mitch says it's because I'm bad, that's why I'm down here.

I didn't mean to break the glass.

Mommy and daddy have been gone for a week now. When will they be home?

I rocked back and forth as I waited for the door at the top of the steps to open. I waited for the right time. I glanced down at the piece of glass I held. He wouldn't touch me again.

Daddy says that Uncle Mitch was a nice guy, maybe daddy was wrong..

Mommy says that Aunt Natayla was a God sent from heaven. Does she know that Aunt Natalya didn't know it was happening when she's at work?

The sound of boots hitting the ground with each step above me made me quiver. He was coming..

I stood up, holding the glass tight.

At the top of the steps the door opened to the greesy man in a white tshirt and swim shorts. His hat placed backwards on his head. Each step made the tears burn in my eyes. Once his eyes met with mine he smiled.

"Oh baby girl. Mommy and daddy are on their way. Why dont you go get cleaned up"? He asked and stepped closer.

I clenched the piece of glass as he circled around me.

"Why are you so dirty"? He whispered and knelt down unfront of me.

The whimper happened again as he moved my hair behind my ear. Smiling again.

"Get up those steps you piece of shit". He hissed and grabbed my arm.

In an instant I dropped the piece of glass and he stopped. He glance down and shook his head. He bent down and grabbed the piece of glass and slowly held it against my neck.

"Now what were you going to do with this"? He asked.

I tried not to cry. I can't show weakness. Not infront of the monster.

_________

January 31st 1985

As the therapist wrote down the last of the notes I laid there, wiping my eyes from my flashback. They say therapy is supposed to work, but I have my opinions.

"Kylie, you have been coming to our meetings for almost ten years now. I've seen alot of improvement but something is holing you back". Dr. Nancy spoke as she closed her book.

I sat up slowly and put my hair up in a bun. Maybe the last ten years I've been through so much its harder now since I'm older.

"You were seven. You're seventeen now. In the matter of the ten years and when you started to come here you progressed so well. You have your confidence back that you didn't have. Mitch is away for a long time. Anything that he's said or did to you is over. He can't hurt you". She spoke and took off her glasses.

"The PTSD doesn't let me think that way". I whispered.

She nodded and stood up. "You don't have anymore meetings scheduled"? She questions and I nod.

"Yeah. I need a break". I smiled and stood up with her.

"Now I can't make you come back, but you know that my door is always opened, court order or not". She spoke and opened the door to her office.

"Thank you". I said and walked off past the office of guests.

When I got out of the building I quickly covered my head from the rain and ran to my mom's car that she let me borrow. Once inside the dry car I rested my head against the back of my seat. The tears came down like they always do after a session. It's like I'm reliving that moment over and over again.

The day uncle Mitch came down was the last day I would ever see him.

___________

I bolted up the steps only to run into Aunt Natayla. She was still wearing her work scrubs as I wrapped my arms around her, sobbing.

"Baby girl. What happened"? She asked in a panic.

Seconds later Mitch walked up the steps, clenching his side from the glass I stabbed into him.

"You little bitch"! He yelled and tried to grab me but Aunt Natayla stepped infront of me.

"What did you do my brother's baby you sick bastard"! She yelled and pulled out the knife she was using to cut up dinner.

"Baby, I didn't do anything She stabbed me". He winced.

Natayla looked at me and then back to her husband.

"Get out of my house. Now"! She hissed and walked him to the door with the knife close to his throat. "You wait until her father gets here"!

I held onto Aunt Nataylas leg as she threw the bad man out of her house. Once she locked the door she knelt down next to me.

"I'm so sorry baby girl. I'm so sorry"! She wiped my eyes as she grabbed her phone, dialing and walked away from me.

I sat on the floor by the front door, waiting for my mommy and daddy to walk in and take me away from here forever. When Aunt Natayla walked back in she picked me up and carried me to the couch.

"I'm so sorry baby. I'm sorry". She cried as she held me tighter.

_________

I punched the seat next to me in the car as the moment felt vivid this time. He was a monster, I am stronger and nothing can break my heart.

Once I calmed down I grabbed my phone and searched for her number. Part of me feels relief when I call her. Other parts of me just hates doing it. I love Natayla. She was my protection for a few months after. Her and my dad dont get along anymore. It was his brother that damaged my brain, but this is for my benefit. When I pressed dial it connected immediately.

"Hey babydoll". Aunt Natayla spoke.

"Hi. Coffee run"? I asked and with a small giggle she agreed.

I hung up the phone and checked my makeup one last time before I pulled out of my spot and to her apartment downtown.