42

April 10th 1985

I started to panic when some of the doctors came in. This was all new to me. "Okay Miss Chambers. This is a normal sonogram, this will let us see the size and weight of the baby". The doctor smiled.

"Now will this tell us how far along she is also Dr. Mullen?"? My mom asked.

"Yes". Dr. Mullen smiled and placed the cold gel on my stomach.

I watched the screen, trying to figure how this works. How do I know of I see the baby?

"Okay, everything looks good. Your blood supply is great, looks very healthy so far". The doctor smiled. "Kylie you are just at 6 weeks". She added.

I wiped the tears from my eyes as she grabbed another monitor. "Would you like to hear the heartbeat"? Dr. Mullen asked.

I turned to look at my mom and then back to her. "Can I get it recorded some how"? I asked, hoping that I could give John the audio.

"I'm sorry, I only can take pictures". She smiled.

A knock on the door had us all turning to it. When another doctor came in he whispered something to Dr. Mullen. "Ah. The father is here. Is it okay for him to come back"? She asked

I leant forward on my elbows, nodding quickly. My mom stood up and kissed my forehead. "I'll be in the car". She smiled and that's when he walked in.

He seemed lost, not sure of what to do. It's been four days since we talked. "Hi. I'm Kylies doctor, Dr. Mullen". She said and shook John's hand. "Are you the father"? She asked.

"Hi". He said taking a deep breath and ignored the other question. Typical John.

"He is". I smiled.

"We were just about to listen to the heartbeat. Would you like to listen"? She asked.

John's eyes met mine as he sat down next to me. He gave the doctor a nod as she reapplied the cold gel. She talked John though the process, showing him the baby like she did for me. The faint heartbeat filling the quiet room. I wiped my eyes again, grabbing a hold of his arm. We may be fighting right now but he doesn't understand how happy I am that he showed up.

"That's the baby's heart, why is it going so fast"? He panicked.

"Its just the way to help with growth. It keeps them with perfect blood circulation". Dr. Mullen smiled and printed out the sonogram.

He kept his eyes on the black and white screen infront of us. "I'll give you some time. Heres the button for the camera". The doctor smiled, handing John the clicker and walked out.

John got up and walked over to the screen, tracing our baby with his finger. "Oh my god". He whispered.

He clicked the button to take a picture then kept clicking it. I wiped my stomach off and got up. He didn't say a word, just kept tracing the screen and taking pictures.

"John"? I called.

It took him a minute but he stopped and turned to me. He set the clicker down and nodded.

"Sorry. Um how are you feeling? He asked.

I nodded. Why does it feel like we're total strangers now?

"Look. I get that your mad at me but I'm trying to be normal about this. I get it if you don't want to be with me but I'm begging you to be in their life". I said.

I'm not wasting anymore tears right now. That's for later. John dropped his shoulders and walked over to me. He grabbed my hands and rested his forehead on mine.

"Please understand that I'm not mad at you. I just need time". He smiled.

In the matter of days I managed to get him to talk to me. We both knew eachother all to well to just give up on everything.

"I understand". I smiled.

When my mom walked in she gave us both a nod, handing me one sonogram picture and handing John a stack. He gave her a smile and chuckled. "Sorry, I couldn't stop".

"Well, you both need to get back to school. I have slips for both of you". She said and walked out.

We followed her and left the office. Once inside the car John and I sat quietly.

"John. Have you thought about your living situation yet? My husband said you never got back to him". My mom spoke.

From the backseat John tensed up, that's when I noticed the small bruse on his upper lip and nose.

"Well, the apartment kind of went backwards, so I'm just around right now". He spoke softly.

"Well, I know I'm not your parent but I would like for you to stay with us. You both can fix up the spare room for the baby in the time being". My mom offered.

John nodded and said a simple "thanks" just as my mom pulled up to the school and handed us our excuses.

"If that Vernon gives you shit come get me". She said turning to John.

We both nodded and got out quickly. Before we made it to the main door I turned to him.

"The only one who knows is Allyson. Can we keep it that way"? I asked.

He nodded again and grabbed my hand. "We got this. Okay"? He Smiled.

I gave him a smile back as we walked into the school. Teachers glared at John as we made it to Vernon's office to give him out excuses. When we walked in he was on the phone.

"Yes that works". He spoke and waved us in.

I sat down as John shut the door and sat next to me.

"Okay, we'll talk later" and he hung up.

"A little late aren't we"? He asked and leaned back into his chair.

"Surprisingly we have notes. I know, hard to believe". John smirked and handed him our excuses.

After Vernon read it his eyes quickly went to mine. He knew, he had to. He nodded and signed off on them, handing them back.

"Um. Its third peroid. You can just wait until the bell." Vernon said, still looking at me.

The look wasn't anger, it was concern, sadness and confusion. Was he upset with me, with John?

"Kylie. Can i have a word with Mr. Bender". Vernon grinned.

I nodded and walked over to the door and turned back to look at Vernon. I hope he doesn't push anymore buttons on John. He needs a break.