Chapter- 10 Another Betrayal

Diya, aka Aadhya's POV

I was walking on the streets searching for a place to live, but no one—I mean, no one—was ready to give me a place to live.

I even tried PG houses and women hostels, but they said their place was not for me; they even said I had to live in a whorehouse.
Seriously, why do they have to taunt me like this?

Currently, I am unemployed. I have to look for a place to live and a job to support myself.

I slept that night at a bus stop and again started searching for a place. I saw a to-let board on the gate of one house, so I went in and knocked on the door. A woman who may be my mother's age opened the door.

"Hi mam, I saw the to-let board, so I am here for the house," I said politely.

"Ok, come in," she said and I went in. "There is a single room on the rooftop for you to live in. You are married, right?" she asked.

"Yes,"  I replied.

"Then it's you and your husband going to live here,"  she asked again.

"No, mam. We are divorced, so it's only me," I replied.

"No, I am not going to give my house to a divorced woman," she said loudly, making me flinch.

When I was pleading with her to rent me the house, her daughter whispered something in her ear, and her expression changed drastically.

"Are you Diya?" she asked, glaring at me.

"Yes, mam,"  I replied, knowing what's coming next.

"Get out of here,"  she roared.

"Mam, please,"  I tried to say.

"Get out; this is a place where families live, not whores,"  she howled.
"If you want, there are more houses for you to go to, where whores live,"  she growled, and that's it. I understood she was not going to listen to me, so I just left from there.

I again started haunting for a house after sitting for some time in the park. How can someone take me when my own parents left me on the road?

It's already evening, and I sat on the stairs at the entrance of a small alley. I was tired and hungry as hell, but I don't have any money.

"Diya."  I heard someone calling my name when I was about to fall asleep, leaning on the wall.

"Aunt,"  I mumbled. She is the aunt from the library who was very sweet to me in the past, and I don't know what she will tell me now.

"Diya, why are you sitting here, dear?" She asked sweetly, like always. After so many days, someone talking to me nicely and hearing her voice made my tears, which I was trying to hold back, come back again, making everything blurry.

"Don't cry, dear; its ok,"  she said, hugging me.

"Come, our house is nearby; we will go and talk there,"  she said, taking me to her house. She is living alone with her daughter, who has heart disease.

"Have some first,"  she said, giving me the food.

"No, aunt, I am not hungry."  I lied, but to expose me, my stomach growled at the same time.

"Yeah, I know that; now eat," she chuckled. Then we three ate. After that, Aunt Saritha's daughter went to sleep, leaving both of us in the living room.

"Now tell me, why are you sitting on the road?" she asked.

"Vikram and I divorced; he said he didn't want me anymore."  I cried and told her the whole thing.

"It's ok, Diya; don't cry, and you can live here until you find a job and a place for yourself. Actually, you can live here as many days as you want, or else  forever," she said softly.

"Thank you, aunt."  I thanked her, and more tears slipped from my eyes. I trusted her even after many betrayals, but she taught me to never trust again.

I really trusted her, but that was the biggest mistake in my life I have ever made.

When all the world was dark, I saw a small light, so I trusted it. I trusted someone who was kind enough to give me this light, but it was my fault to trust a random light.

My past has taught me enough. It taught me don't trust a star, which is lighting when all the world is dark. Doubt the star; why is it lighting when all the lights went off?

.

.

.

One week passed. Still, I haven't found any job or a place either, so I was living at aunt Saritha's house, helping her with household work and looking after her daughter when she left for work.

Days are passing just like that.

"Diya,"  someone called me when I was returning from another company, which rejected me. By now, I am used to rejections.

"Vivan,"  I muttered when he approached me.

"I am sorry for what has happened to you,"  he said, and I stayed silent, not knowing what to say.

"I took down all your videos from the internet,"  he stated.
"As a friend, that's all I can do for you," he said, and he walked from there without even waiting for my reply.

I was grateful; at least he did it for me, but he didn't even give me a chance to thank him.

I went to Aunt Saritha's house at night after searching for a job for the whole day.

"Hey, Diya, I am going somewhere; can you accompany me?"  She asked me with a smile, but that smile was not real; I could sense her tension.

"Where, aunt?" 

"I will tell you, come on,"  she said as she dragged me out by holding my wrist.

We took a taxi and started from there. If only I knew, I was going directly to hell.

He stopped the car when we reached the outskirts of the city, where there was no one.

"Why are we here, aunt?" I asked naively.

"I am sorry, Diya,"  she said suddenly, with tears.

"For wha---,"  before I could complete my sentence, I saw three strongly built men in black staring at me.

"Aunt, do you know them? Why are we here?" I asked tensely.

"I am sorry, Diya,"  she said again.

"Now you can go,"  one of the men said, giving her money.

"No, it can't be."

"Aunt," I roared, but my voice came as a whisper.

"Now stop your drama and come with us," one man hissed and grabbed my hand.

I looked at the aunt helplessly with beaming tears.

"I need money for my daughter's surgery; I don't have any other option other than this," she said with guilt.

"I am sorry," she said as she ran from there.

I trusted her, but she chose to betray me.

She sold me to them. I know she has her reasons, but that doesn't justify her actions. She can't ruin another woman's life for her own daughter's.

If you have a reason to do wrong, that doesn't mean you are right.

***

Since many of you guys felt yesterday's update was short.. 😇

Hold your breath... Now, This shit is going to be intense.. 🙃

Do vote and comment your thoughts and suggestions. It really means a lot to me.❤

💜💜