57

"So." I say quietly to Tobias as well leave our apartment. "Where are we going?" He nods and clasps my hand.
"We're going to the fence."

"What?" I say confused, I stare at him and he stares back.

"You remember during initiation, you asked what was out there? Well, we're going to find out." I let go of his hand.

"But there is nothing out there?" I ask.

"Yes, as far as Amity know. Amity are to peaceful to bother looking past their farms."

"What if it's dangerous?" I say timidly, he laughs.

"What's more dangerous than me?" He smirks and pulls me along with him. I don't make a commotion because we got into the pit, where hundreds of Dauntless members are. I feel a pinch in my stomach, this can't be good. No one has ever done this before.

We get to the train just as it arrives. Then we ride the train until the end of it's track.

We get off. My nervous are rising increasingly. I can tell Tobias's are too, by the way he stares at the ground as we get off. I gently touch his arm, that's when he realises we aren't going to get past Dauntless fence guards. He nods. I think it was a think I have this under control nod.

"Excuse me!" One of the guards yell. I squeeze Tobias's hand and he let's go. "You can't be out here!" The guard is muscly, but not as muscly as Tobias. He nods and looks away from me.

"We have authority." Tobias yells back. His voice is very serious, like he's instructing them.

"Yeah, by who?" The other guard yells back.

"Max. He's sending us out there, lower grader." He just insulted him. He just insulted me. I hold back my laughter.

"Whatever. Just because your-Four!" The guard remarks then stops. He realises who it is. Four. Tobias waves and pull on my jacket to follow him.

"C'mon." We get to the guards, the one who recognised him high fives him and the other crises his arms annoyed.

"What's Max sent you out here for?" The guard pauses. "You two." He nods at me and I smile politely yet trying to make it look as genuine as possible.

"Yeah, Max sent us out here for patrolling on the Amity. Thomas." Tobias answers.

"It's Tom now." He says. Then he continues. "Why didn't he send us?" Tom asks referring to himself and the other guard.

"Don't know." Tobias says simply.

"Well okay." Tom nods at the other guard and they open the gate. This is it. This is it.

We pass the Amity fields after hours of walking and questions from Amity members, curious ones. The fields stop abruptly, leaving a dirty ground. With nothing around us but the Amity fields behind us. No monsters like Will joked. Nothing.

We keep walking until I get incapable to walk any further. I'm panting.

"I-I've got to stop." I grab hold of his arm and lean over forwards.

"But Tris-"

"No, I can't-"

"There." I look up to him.

"What?" Then I look to what he's looking at. I see it. There is something out here. A building. "What is it?" I say confused. I stand up straight again.

"Let's find out." He says, and he continues to walk. I reach out for his arm again and pull. It stops him.

"But-It's getting late."

"Zeke won't mind us leaving the kids for longer." I'm unsure but the way Tobias looks at me, he wants this. And he's not going to turn around again. So we continue to walk, together.