Chapter 40: Read Between the Lines

It was finally the day I got out of the hospital. But, it was also the day my dad was leaving and only one day away from when Louis, my mom, and the boys were leaving. Boo, I just can't win. Louis had brought me some clothes and one of his beanies before the doctor helped sign me out. Once I was free to go, I slipped the beanie on my head and Louis helped me out of bed. It took quite a while to get all the wires off, but the doctors had done it earlier this morning, so it was quicker now. Once out of the room we headed towards the elevator in which we stepped in and pressed the main level button. Louis grabbed my hand and squeezed it softly; I squeezed back and smiled at him. The doors opened to reveal the hospital lobby. Outside we're tons of paps and fans, so the nurse at the desk helped us get to the back entrance. Finally we made it outside without having to be photographed. Louis brought my car over and I hopped in the passenger seat. We drove home listening to a new playlist he helped me make. It was pretty much all The Fray, Imagine Dragons, and the Beatles: my favorites right now. We sang along until the car pulled up to the gate in front of the house. I told Louis the gate code and he punched it in, the gate opening up immediately after. He pulled into the driveway and ran over to my side of the car to help me out. We then made our way to the door where he opened it. Inside stood my father, the boys, but no sign of mom. Where was she? Everyone turned to look at us and quickly ran over when they saw me, pretty much making me the center of a giant group hug.

"Bo! We missed you!" Liam said while we all broke apart.

"Yeah, good thing you came home today or else I wouldn't get to say goodbye!" my dad said.

"Right! How long are you going to be gone? And when are you leaving exactly?" I asked, still confused on the subject.

"Well, I leave at around noon and its eleven now. I'll only be gone for about three months this time, then I'll be back for two entire months!" my dad said and I smiled. Six months was way to long.

"Okay, I can definitely handle that." I nodded.

"Great. I have to go get the rest of my stuff together, but I'll be done soon so we can say goodbye. Louis, would you mind helping me?" he asked. Why would he want Louis' help? Didn't he hate Louis?

"Uh.. sure, sir." Louis said, following my dad upstairs. He turned back to look at me and I gave him a confused look. He sent one back, implying that he also had no idea what was going on. Hopefully my dad won't yell at him for something stupid again.

(Louis' POV)

I followed Mr. Styles up to his guest room and stood in the doorway as he put the last few things in his suitcase. I was curious as to why he wanted me up here.

"Sir, anything I can help with?" I asked.

"Well, I have everything packed up now. But I do need to talk to you about something." he said, zipping up his duffle bag. I nodded and he gestured me to come in. I sat down on the bed next to him and waited for him to speak.

"Louis, I owe you a huge apology. Everything I said to you in the hospital the other day was unacceptable and I just want to tell you that looking back on it, it was all wrong. Seeing you and Ashley together, well, it's just good to see her happy again. You seem to be a good young man."

"Thank you sir. But, I'm just wondering, where is all of this coming from, if you don't mind my asking." I said politely.

"Not at all. I guess the reason that I'm telling you this is because you make my daughter happy. And that's all I want, is for her to be happy. Son, I'm giving you my blessing, on one condition."

"And what is that?"

"You take care of her. You never hurt her. And you love her. If not, I will 'take care' of you." I quickly figured out what he meant and gulped silently.