Chapter 17 - Leaning on You

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

I might forget to turn out all the lights
But you take care of me when I have to leave at dawn
I
 might sleep in past all my alarms
But you take care of us when I make it tough because

Was I fearless at seventeen years old
Or was I faking it, I was just a kid leavin' home
Now I get scared for reasons I don't know
Is it just because I ain't tough enough to be alone?

It takes all that I got not to fuck this up
So won't you let me know if I'm not alone
And I like what we got but I'm scared of what it's not
So won't you let me know if I'm not alone
Leaning on you

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

It was the early mid-March morning when you slammed open Eren's bedroom door to find him passed out and drooling. You had spent the night at the Jaeger home after a particularly late book club meeting. It had been a while since the last time you tagged along with your mom and you didn't want to waste the opportunity to continue patching things up with Eren. You were thankful that when you called him to say you were coming over, he didn't hide his excitement. It felt like you had been rehabilitated, feeling your lungs ache from the laughter you shared throughout the evening.

The sun hadn't fully risen when you opened your eyes the next morning as you stretched wide across the couch. You had the worn-down duvet spread across your body as you pulled it up higher, giving the sheets a sniff. Even though the stuffing had stiffened up and some of the seams were frayed, the smell of the laundry detergent Carla reminded you of blanket forts and movie marathons.

You knew that Eren was a particularly loud person in the morning. He would always bang his elbows or sing in the shower or knock something over as he got ready for work. You would always complain that on the nights you stayed over, his noisy habits would wake you up. That continual pattern eventually trained your circadian rhythm to expect Eren's morning routine.

Your eyes had calmly opened after just a few hours of sleep and you smiled as balance came back into your life. Your moment of peace was promptly cut short with one glance at the clock. You shot up, recalling that Eren had work and the lack of banging and singing didn't bode well in Eren's favour. . It was the only reason why you didn't stay up until 3 A.M. helping him set up an email account on the Jaeger family's new computer.

"Eren! Get up!" you shouted in the doorway. "You're going to be late!"

In a scramble, Eren's body contorted in a way that got him tangled up in his own blanket. "Eughlah..." he groaned, his eyes darted to the clock. "EUGHLAH!" In his half-awoken stature, Eren got up to reveal his exposed torso and thighs. You barely reacted to seeing him half-naked. It was a sight that you were used to seeing. Most nights, he would start off fully clothed but would strip one piece off at a time to cool down in the middle of his sleep.