Chapter 50 - Memory of You

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

(I have waited EONS to use this song.)

Down the river, by the willow, in the woods where we played as a child
When I saw you through the window in the wind with your hair blowing wild

When you told me all the golden days fade to blue
I denied it, tried to hide it but deep down I knew
I'm in love with the memory of you

On a Monday in November with the light of the moon in your eyes
Even now I still remember how you laugh every time that you cry

And I told you nothing golden stays like the leaves on tree
You denied it, tired to hide it but one day you'll see
You're in love with the memory of me

All the pathways in my memory form an old trail that leads back to you
In the dog days of the summer I remember the times we've been through

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Colt held the hand that gripped your cell phone. The pad of his thumb was gently touching your thumb's nail bed. As soon as the robotic voice spoke, "Voicemail ended." you wanted nothing more than to slither away. Eren's unminced words were out in the open, floating around like dying leaves in a cold and dark hotel room.

You looked at Colt, unable to read his expression. His frame was casting you in the moonlight's shadow; it was only moments ago, that you danced underneath its glow. Now, you were faced with the darkness of truth and the method it had been brought to light.

Colt sighed and let you go. You could see his jaw tightening and twitching from behind his quivering lips. It was hard looking him in the eyes. Unsure if you had any place to speak at that second, you waited for him.

The silence carried on for seconds, minutes, maybe even hours if it weren't for the relentless ticking of the clock. You worried where your mind would have taken you if it wasn't for the air conditioning kicking in, filling in that empty space. Somehow, the sound of Colt's staggered breathing comforted you, reassuring you that he was still there somehow.

"I...just don't know..." Colt finally said, close to a cry and close to a breath. It sounded like he filtered through the thickest weeds of thoughts to finally come to those words. "Or maybe I did know and I just wanted to deny it."

You were unsure about what conclusions he was coming to exactly. He was analyzing and finalizing things at a rate you would never be able to keep up with.

"All my life...I never felt like myself until I met you," he continued. You could see the shimmer of a single tear fall from his hanging head to the faded carpet. "Always putting what I wanted to do second, always numbing the way I felt, always chasing something that was never meant for me." He paused to sit down on the floor, leaning his back on the edge of the bed. He brought his knees to his chest, crossed his arms on top of them and laid his head down.