Chapter 18 - Secret Heart

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

Secret heart, what are you made of?
What are you so afraid of?
Could it be three simple words
Or the fear of being overheard?
What's wrong? Let him in on your secret heart

Secret heart, why so mysterious?
Why so sacred, why so serious?
Maybe you're just acting tough
Maybe you're just not man enough
What's wrong? Let him in on your secret heart

This very secret, that you're trying to conceal
Is the very same one that you're dying to reveal
Go tell him how you feel

Secret heart, come out and share it
This loneliness, few can bear it
Could it have something to do with
Admitting that you just can't go through it alone?
Let him in on your secret heart

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

It was the early morning, when you stood in the mirror, brushing down the skirt of a dress that draped close to the ground. Spring break was fully underway and the weather was getting much warmer. The sun rose earlier and the rain fell a little harder. Most of the morning was spent taking too long to debate outfits, hairstyles, and makeup for your morning with Eren for his birthday. You usually wouldn't pay much attention to your appearance around Eren, but you found yourself going over every detail, wondering what he would think.

It had only been a few days since you settled with the restlessness in your heart and the secret you carried with you. Although you had come to terms with falling in love with your best friend, there was a matter of keeping it as tightly to your chest as possible. The running you had done your whole life finally slowed down and rested in your desire to be with your best friend. The reality scared you and made you wonder just how long you've felt this way. There was nothing more you wanted than to avoid destroying your eighteen years of friendship.

You came down the stairs to continue preparing for the day. You had a backpack of food for snacks and lunch, blankets, sunscreen, and anything else you would need for a day at the beach. As you packed things away, you recalled Eren's phone call late last night.

"Y/N! Let's go to the beach before my mom's party. That's what I want for my birthday." His voice was almost panicked and frantic, his panting breath came through clearly on the receiver.

You were nearly speechless, feeling a pang in your heart that tugged at it until you were raw. "Oh! Um, okay!"

"Good! I already bought the train tickets," he said hastily, tripping over his own words. There was a beat of silence as you held the clunky phone to your ear, twisting the cable around in your finger. "Um, okay, I'll pick you up early tomorrow morning. You better go to sleep soon."