Chapter 19 - On The Train Ride Home

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

(this is one of my all time favourite songs)

Waiting down at the station
I don't remember
I think it was late then

Standing, always so quiet
We're like elevators
Filled up with strangers

No sound, no Hallelujahs
Still I was praying on the train ride home
If I can't get the things I want
Just give me what I need

Our words fill up the pages
Fill up the days with songs for the ages
Still those vows that we all speak
We break them like concrete and just make our words cheap

I want someone to grow with
Songs I can sing to and a family to cling to
But if I can't get the things I want
If I can't get the things I want
Just give me what I need

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
Chapter 18 & 19 - Double Update!

Fifteen Years Ago

Eren rested on the hip of his mother as they stood and watched the passengers board the large boat on the dock. It was going to be another long while before Eren would see his father again. It had gotten to the point where the occasional three-week visit back home was stranger than the regularly occurring three-week work trip. Eren barely knew the man, but there was always a piece of him that would wither away whenever they said goodbye.

Zeke stood next to Eren's mother with his arms crossed and a deep furrow etched in his forehead. Eren knew that his brother had gone through this same scene many more times than he had. It seemed like it never got easier. The small family never left the railing until the boat was too small on the other side of the horizon.

Eren realized that his mother stopped crying the more times she said goodbye. He also realized that they stopped when Zeke started to live with them.

"Well boys," she sighed, turning away from the docks to face her sons. "We still have enough time to get some food or go to the beach before our scheduled train ride home."

"Beach! Beach!" Eren cheered, reaching his small hands back to where he saw his father disappear. "Beach with brother!"

Zeke had been going through some growing pains upon moving to Paradis to live with his dad's second wife and son when his mother passed away. Why did he have to leave his home only to have his father dump him behind? He would have been happy staying with the neighbours, at least that old man would play baseball with him.

The insistent whining of the toddler next to him was bothering his ears. "EUGH! Shut up! I'm not your full brother. I'm your half-brother."

"Zeke, don't talk that way," their mother gently scolded. "We're still a family." She resisted the urge to steal her own boat and chase down her husband herself. "Let's go to the beach. It's still warm enough outside." Knowing that the last thing a teenage boy would want is to be seen holding his stepmother's hand, she still reached out for him anyways. To her surprise, he took it, albeit just by the fingertips.