Chapter 32 - Used To Be

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

You are coming home, are you still alone?
Are you not the same as you used to be?
As the sun grows high and you serve your time
Does each day just feel like another lie?
Now you know, is it just for show?
Just a foolish game that you hide behind?
Don't forget the nights when it all felt right
Are you not the same as you used to be?

Used to be

In an endless night could you feel the fright
Of an age that was and could never be?
So we hold it close when we feel the most
Like a love that we could not leave behind
Turn the wheel to each way we feel
Til I'm lost and I cannot find you there
Don't forget the nights when it all felt right
Are you not the same as you used to be?

Coming home any day now
Any day now, any day now

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

It was still the same Friday night when you meandered your way back to your dorm from the library. One drunk email later and you were sitting there, refreshing your inbox over and over. You could be patient, you were used to waiting sometimes up to a week for his reply. However, that particular moment had you itching for an update. You sat there with your head in your palms, resting the heavy weight against them. You could hear the buzzing of the fluorescent lights and the shuffling of wooden chairs. There were some students sprinkled around the library studying, even at this late hour.

It made you laugh thinking about the party you had just left and seeing the duality of what it was like to go to university. Unfamiliar faces, a dark and musty living room, and people drinking cheap beer. You could remember sitting on the couch, watching Annie disappear into the kitchen. No one was dancing or singing karaoke in the living room. It was just a series of blurry vignettes and shallow conversations. If it weren't for the bottle of vodka you nursed as you got ready, you would have remembered that uncomfortable air even clearer.

You remember even earlier that night, offering Annie a sip from the tall glass bottle. You remember the raised eyebrow that she gave you. "No thanks, I prefer darker tastes. Rum, brandy? You got any of that?"

With a shake of your head, you turned to the mirror to try and do your makeup. You never realized how hard it was to do on your own.

You suddenly looked up when the screen of the computer had fallen asleep. You must have sat there long enough in your daydream for the screensaver to turn on, reminding you of the stale environment you let yourself fade into.

The sudden pull of home tugged at your heart. It had been a month and a half of being away, of being alone. This was everything you had wanted, independence and discovery. What you were actually feeling reflected the realities of being a student, isolation and desperation.