Chapter 26 - For The Summertime [M]

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

Won't be long until the sun goes down
Won't be long until the leaves turn brown
Won't be long until I'm in the ground

Had a dream that I was halfway gone
Sang for you but you don't want my song
Hurry up 'cause I'm not here for long

High in the trees by the house on the hill
Where the moon through the leaves
Falls like rain on the sill of my window
Pain is a cold autumn day

Won't be long until the sun goes down
Won't be long until I'm lost or found
Take a picture while I'm still around
So love me for the summertime

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

[M - Mature Chapter!]

July brought thunderstorms and mosquitoes, sweaty bodies and tanned skin. It also brought short shorts and tank tops, even shorter tempers and even longer talks. You spent nearly every day with Eren, drinking up as much of the summertime together as possible. He would usually be busy during the weekdays, working long hours at his part-time-turned-full-time job. As Carla's health declined, the bills increased. As the bills increased, the number of shifts Eren worked increased. As the number of shifts Eren worked increased, the days you had left together were just as quick to decline.

You were thankful that Sasha invited you and your friends to her family's large farmhouse in the valleys of Dauper for her eighteenth birthday. It was a perfect opportunity to spend some more time with your friends before you had to start packing next month. In the back of your mind, you worried about the hesitation in Eren's voice when he was asked to take some time off from work.

There was a small part of you that felt guilty when you told him, "We only have a month left to spend time together before I move." Thankfully bemused expression on his face told you that he was fully convinced.

Eren helped you load up the back of your car with your suitcases and supplies. Sasha told you that there were going to be more than enough beds at your family's home for everyone to sleep so you didn't have to worry about packing too much bedding as you would for your winter camping excursions.

With the slam of the truck, Eren huffed and brushed back his long hair. It was growing so quickly that you started to enjoy the tangled mess that greeted you in the morning. You were happy that you no longer had to hide the enamoured smiles towards him. He returned the smile and you could see that his eye bags were getting heavier. You understood how important working was for him, but hopefully, he could use this much-needed vacation to rest up.

"Thanks for driving, love," he said, passing you the keys. "My truck is dead in the driveway right now. Can't really afford to fix it."

"Of course," you said with a teasing laugh. "I wouldn't want to drive up to the mountains in that thing anyways. Remember what happened last time?"