Chapter 27 - Twilight of Youth

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

What a joy to be kissed by the breath of the wandering wind
What a joy to be somebody new when you shed your skin

What a time to be young and searching for truth
In the fading of the summer and the twilight of your youth

What a joy to be held in the arms of the rolling waves
What a joy to be bathed in the light of the golden days

What a time to be young and searching for truth
In the fading of the summer and the twilight of your youth

And when the days grow short my friend and summer turns to fall
I'll be with you in the end, anytime, anytime you call

What a joy to be touched by the hands of the rising moon
What a joy to be lost in the words of a haunting tune

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

August brought drought and heatwaves, dehydration and sunburns. It also brought boxes of clothes and boxes of bare necessities, boxes of memories and boxes of feelings. You spent nearly every day pent up in your room, trying to decide what were the most important things to bring with you when you moved. Before you knew it, you only had one night left in your hometown.

You always thought as a child that you could never sleep without your favourite stuffed animal and yet there you found it buried in the back corner of your closet. You always thought that you'd keep up with your diary to discuss your daily life and yet you found several journals with only one entry under your bed. You always thought that you needed to take pictures of every single moment just so you wouldn't forget them and yet you found yourself questioning if you need every single printed photo.

The glow of summer was burning away with the changing of the season. Although the weather had reached the peak of its unbearable heat, the cooldown of autumn was already coming into effect. You were already saying goodbyes to your friends who made their moves toward the future.

Three Weeks Ago

You woke up in the gaze of Big Buck's watchful eye, to the sounds of the bleating goats and llamas, and the smells of breakfast being made. You rolled over, wrapping your arms around Eren's torso and pressing your lips to his exposed shoulder blades. You could feel him waking to your touch as he breathed heavily, turning around and wrapping you in his arms.

There was a knock on the door and the muffled voice of Sasha came through. "Hey! Breakfast is ready, get up!"

You were feeling slightly hungover from all the drinking the night before, but thankfully everyone looked just as tired as they drooled over the large meal. Plates of bacon, sausage, fresh farm eggs, pancakes, and waffles fed your eyes faster than your stomach. It made you smile, thinking of all the sleepovers you used to have with this very same group of friends. You used to sleep on the living room floor in a pile of blankets and pillows, the blue light from the finished VHS tape acted like a night light, and the smell of breakfast early in the morning motivated you to get up early.