Chapter 28 - ...What Are We?

Featured Lyrics:

Featured Lyrics:

Given the circumstances, I won't ask you to stay
Given the circumstances, I would get it if you walked away
But all my life, I've been looking for this
It seems fitting that things go to hell now that I've found it

I don't think we're wasting time, but if you do, I'm sorry
I can see a life with you, but if you can't, I'm sorry
If four months mean nothing
If none of it counts for something, then I'm sorry

Oh, if spending every night in your bed
Has no meaning, then what are we?
Just a sorry excuse for love?
Love

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*.

Nearly forgetting to lock the house, you felt yourself shaking as you ran out the front door in your pyjama shorts and flip-flops. Seeing Eren outside your window, looking up at you with swollen eyes and messy hair made you feel scared more than anything. You did your best to keep your mind clear, to keep yourself from spiralling, to keep yourself from writing the ending by yourself. You wanted to hear what he had to say. On the other hand, there was just no telling what was going to come out of your mouth.

You ran to the end of the boulevard, surprised to see Eren's pickup truck running and flooding your ears with the sound of the rattling engine. He wasn't waiting by the truck like you expected and you found yourself looking for him with desperation. You walked up the passenger side door, trying to see if he was inside.

You suddenly felt a familiar hand on your shoulder, turning you around so that your face crashed against his firm chest. Nothing had been said, and yet the relief of having Eren's arms around you gave you nearly every answer you needed.

"I'm sorry, let's go talk somewhere," he whispered, barely audible over the truck engine.

You didn't want to talk. You didn't want to move past this moment. You didn't want to let him go.

You felt his grip loosen around your shoulders, freeing you from his grasp before you felt ready. You stood like a mannequin, watching him walk around the front, open the driver's side door, and finally lean over to unlock the passenger side. When you didn't move immediately, Eren pulled the handle and pushed the door open, inviting you in.

"Sorry...you should get in."

Your body felt like an unoiled machine as you turned to step in. He was still leaning over, just close enough for you to kiss him before stepping in. You have done it many times before. It was as simple as leaning in and pressing his lips against yours. It was as simple as feeling him smirk against you, the puff of breath from his nose tickling your cheeks. That was all you had to do, and yet Eren sat up and away from you the second you moved closer to hop inside.