𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑.

~ Crystal ~

The gifts are for the finer man.

The gifts are miraculous, prized and desired by their mates.

The gifts are sacred, the most special creatures to walk the Earth.

Such a thaumaturgic being shouldn't be left alone, yet I am.

Death would be a better ending than this hellish loneliness, awareness of being unwanted, undesired by your mate.

I sat on the grass, my arm on the cold rock as my cheek rests against it, my fingertips playing with the crystal water.

Not much time is left until 4 AM, just 5 more hours. The starry sky and twinkling moon illuminate everything, shimmering in the holly lake that glistens with electric blue shade in the gracious light of the full moon. The wind is harsh, cold and brutal against my scarred back, but I don't seem to care.

My mate doesn't want me. I have no reason to bother about the state that I am in.

"We are awaiting a guest."- announced a voice behind me, a feeble whimper escaping my lungs as my arm was gripped.

"Why haven't you cleaned your wounds up?! Was one punishment not enough?"- sneered the keeper, yanking me up on my feet.

"Stride to your room and prepare. You look horrendous."- growled the keeper, ushering me, commanding me.

My head dropped down and I obeyed, my mind wrapped around her words.

A guest.

Nobody, other than Alphas, is allowed here and every Alpha is now mated.

Who is he?

I showered, whimpering through the pain as water and soap burned my wounds that refuse to heal. My wolf won't heal me, not this time, not when she wishes for a mate that we cannot be granted.

The silk fabric of the dress covered the lacy chemise. My frail hands reached for the hairbrush, but stilled as the keeper entered the room, displeased at the sight of my wet hair and red eyes.

"You better hope he will forgive your despicable appearance."- roared the keeper, urging me to go to the hall, towering over me with the other 9 keepers.

Their eyes remained on me as I ornamented my plate with what was on offer, my hands quivering under their judgemental, calloused gazes.

"Faster, Crystal! Our guest is in a ferocious state, he doesn't have time for you!"- growled the keeper, slamming her fists against the table, my plate falling down, its content spilling on the floor.

Tears brimmed in my eyes as the small, mere handful of pomegranate seeds that I collected with so much effort decorated the marble floor, syrup spilt and fig crushed against the hard stone.

"Lost cause."- taunted the keepers as I picked up my plate, starting all over again.

Only they wished not to give me more than 2 minutes.

The plate was grabbed away from me, a fluster overpowering my soul as I glanced at the nearly empty plate that brought shame upon my heart.

"Once he arrives, I will find you. Dismissed."- snapped the keeper as I nodded, exiting the hall in silence, running away the moment I was out of their sight.

My feet carried me back to holly lake, idling before it just for a moment to let my hands peel the silk dress off me, the lacy, thin chemise being the only thing that covered my naked body from the blessed waters that I submerged under, scared of this ceremony because I know it will be another disappointment.