𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐.

~ Crystal ~

And so the preparations began. 

Like a devoted, honourable King, my mate did not turn away from his people and his Army. Adonis trained day and night with everyone else, and spent hours in the study with the generals, plotting and discussing the strategies until the latest hours of the evening. 

Dionis, having no other choice, but to accept his friend's decision, took over the command of the Royal Guards and began spending every second of each day by my side, watching over me. 

"Your Highness, you should rest."- Demetria urged gently, her eyes full of concern as she watched me prepare yet another basket for my people. 

Bread, honey, flowers, sweets, golden and silver coins, as well as milk, books and toys for the children - the smallest thing I could do to show my support, care and devotion. Nobody lacked a thing in our realm, everyone was wealthy and perfectly equipped with everything should the hard times approach, but this was more of a gesture of my love and sympathy than a try to provide some food and money. 

"I am fine."- I answered quietly as my hands reached for the posy of lavender to place it into the basket. 

"You have been up and restlessly working since daybreak, Your Highness. You are 25 weeks pregnant, you can not exhaust yourself like that."- Claudia tried to talk me into resting, but I still refused. 

I did not want to be in the chambers without my mate. 

I did not want to lay in our bed without him by my side, without his warmth to savour and loving touch to delight in. 

I do not want to have a spare second because then the thoughts about me having no choice, but to do all of that in merely a few more weeks began to haunt me. 

Seeing that this was no use, my maids resumed helping me to fill the baskets that were to be taken to the packs in the evening. 

"I hope you know that I report everything to your mate every 30 minutes."- Dionis said mildly as he stood beside me and began filling a basket of his own. 

During this week I became good friends with the Beta, not as close as he was with my treasure, but good enough for us to have calm conversations, get to know each other and not mind each other's constant presence. 

"Ease his worries, Crystal. Have, at least, a little break and something to eat, just a few bites."- his words were calm and gentle and my soul fluttered, Eden whimpering with longing and need for our mate. 

"Alright."- I spoke softly and he nodded, gesturing with his hand towards the door for me to go ahead and he would follow right after me. 

I cradled my belly and walked towards the dining room, where, without a doubt, the staff was already laying the table for me. 

~ Dionis ~

The Queen's pregnancy glow was dimmed by the current events within hours on the first day of the preparations for the battle. 

And everyone else saw it too. 

I growled lowly and very quietly at the maid when she gave the Queen a pitiful glance that saddened Her Highness even more. 

The Queen does not need to be reminded about her mate's decision to go to the battlefield with the Army, about her having no choice, but to stay here because she is in condition and needs to rule the kingdom while the King is gone.

I drank tea while Crystal ate, or more so played with, the dessert on her golden plate and I couldn't help the rage that bubbled within me. 

Not only has the weather worsened ever since the Queen's smile disappeared, but it also put Adonis in a lethal mood.