𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖.

~ Adonis ~

I caressed my mate's little belly and listened to her and our pups' heartbeats, unable to rest and breathe peacefully because the goddamn wall is down - threats of all kinds are roaming freely all over the lands.

I am sheer months away from becoming a father to two beautiful, little pups and it is my duty as their father to keep them safe. Their safety is in my hands, it is mine to provide and secure, and by the damn moon, nothing will stop me from shielding my pups from harm and menace. 

The number of soldiers around the castle will be increased and there will be more guards inside to watch over my mate and, with time, our pups. The visits will be limited and each of them will have to be confirmed by me. 

I must send a patrol out to find out more about the situation on the borders. The sooner I do it, the better.

"I can feel you thinking about everything, my treasure."- purred my beloved quietly while turning around to face me. 

"I need to put an end to this."- I said in a calm tone that oozed danger and death, the bloodthirsty beats within me burning with rage, territoriality and worry, and she cupped my cheeks to stroke them gently with her little thumbs.

"I cannot let our pups enter the world that is full of threats and peril."- I almost whispered, my gaze following down to her bare belly that tenderly pressed against my stomach. 

"And they won't, my love. We will do everything it takes for this to end, but we have to do this one step at a time because this is a tough mission and we have too many elements involved to rush."- my darling soothed lovingly, bringing my eyes back to hers, and by the moon, they glowed more luminously than the stars in the sky. 

I cupped her jaw delicately and pressed my lips to hers to kiss her softly, to let her light and warmth consume me and erase the heavy, alarming feelings that are brewing within me. 

"We will be alright, my treasure. I know we will because there is nothing stronger than our bond, the ties and threads between you, me and the two perfect children we created with so much love."- whispered my little Crystal against my lips, my hands moving between us to lay on her tiny belly and feel those ties and threads.

The thick, strong, unbreakable bond flows between my beloved and our pups like a pacifying melody of love and comfort, like a solemn promise of tranquillity and happiness, like a devoted vow of safety for us all in the end. 

We will be alright.

I stroked her miniature belly tenderly and breathed her scent in deeply as she kissed my neck and chest, her slender arms around my torso to keep us close. Our legs intertwined and tangled, both of us desperate for all the closeness we can get in the privacy of our chambers, hidden in our bed beneath the warm covers.

My sweet Crystal fell asleep in my arms once again and I held her protectively in my embrace while caressing her belly, my senses alert and attentive, strangers to sleep and rest until peace and order are restored. 

~ Clark ~

Lancelot and I crammed our room with texts and ancient manuscripts, desperate to uncover even the merest piece of information about the creation of the wall, its source of power and ways to restore it. 

"I cannot find a thing. It is like the creator never wanted to share anything."- I muttered in anger and huffed, slamming yet another archaic book shut.

"You are awfully quiet, brother. Is everything alright?"- I asked in concern, looking at my spellbound by the book brother, who gulped heavily and scooted closer to me to show me the texts.