𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟎.

~ Crystal ~

Time slipped away, elusive and unmarked.

The already frigid air seemed to grow colder with each passing minute, and our meagre clothing offered little defence against the biting cold. The oppressive darkness within the four stone walls was intermittently interrupted by the flickering candlelight, dutifully replaced by the guard each time it succumbed to darkness. Occasionally, he would grace us with the courtesy of a water delivery.

The relentless absence of sustenance began to take its toll; a growing weakness permeated my being. Sleep, a luxury we couldn't afford, eluded us in the biting cold.

Yet, our paramount concern was not the harsh conditions but the ominous silence from the monstrous captor who had condemned us to this hell.

The guard, our sole visitor, appeared infrequently, bearing only a chalice of water or a fresh candle. These brief encounters were our only glimpses into the realm beyond the stone confines, leaving us to wonder about the intentions of the enigmatic captor. The sparse appearances of the guard, devoid of any meaningful interaction, hinted at an ominous uncertainty that lingered in the air, casting a shadow over our captivity.

As I cradled my beloved mate in my arms, a torrent of tears blurred my vision, and a profound ache gripped my heart.

Adonis, my treasure, remained chained to the wall, his bare torso exposed to the biting wind and the unyielding chill emanating from the stone surface. The harsh conditions had taken their toll on him easier than on me, but the specificities mattered little to my concern. The signs of prolonged hunger lingered on his muscular, robust frame, glaringly apparent to my scrutinizing gaze.

The sight was unbearable. The extent of his suffering weighed heavily on me, an oppressive burden that I struggled to endure any longer.

His agony inflicted upon me a torment more profound than any affliction I might endure.

I inched impossibly closer to him, my desire to share every ounce of warmth manifesting in tender kisses on the firm contours of his chest. In that tender moment, the sensation of his skin against mine seemed to elude my awareness, consumed by the fervour to envelop him in my own comforting heat.

"Shh, my sweetheart. We will be fine, and soon enough, we'll find our way home." - Adonis murmured, his words a soothing balm as his lips pressed gently against my forehead. 

In that delicate moment, his soft whispers became a balm for my restless soul, filling me with a renewed sense of hope. The unwavering belief in our glorious victory intensified as I felt the subtle kicks of our pups. Instinctively, my hands found their place on my belly, cradling it gently, forging a tangible connection with the life burgeoning within.

"Can you feel them kicking, my little star?"- His voice brimmed with longing as his silver eyes fixated on my round belly, adoring it with a loving marvel.

Without uttering a word, I summoned the strength to rise, a smile gracing my lips alongside the shimmer of tears in my eyes. He wasted no time, instantly pressing his lips to my belly and emitting a soft purr of contentment.

"My little blessings."- my mate whispered tenderly, planting a weightless kiss on my belly. A radiant smile illuminated his face as our children responded with delicate kicks, joyfully acknowledging their father's love.

"I love you."- three simple words, one heartfelt confession, yet each thread of my being tingled with the profound awareness of a love that had been my everything from the very beginning.

Our love would win. 

Our love would withstand anything.

~ Adonis ~