Chapter 90: Sign Creation Ceremony

I groan as I open my eyes. What the heck happened? Last time I checked, Wind, Yuri, and I were trying to get through the <Hill Forest> and...

Hang on...

"WIND!!!" I scream as I get up from the ground and look around my surroundings. "Wait, where am I?"

I notice that instead of a wall of trees, I'm in some sort of room made of gray concrete walls and a floor. In front of me is a pair of large closed stone doors and behind me is an altar and another pair of pairs behind it. It doesn't seem like there are handcuffs or bindings around my wrists and ankles, but looking around, I can't seem to find Wind or Yuri anywhere. Even if I scream their names, it seems like there are no walls or anything that might hide either of them. Only an altar stands behind me. I try using my whisper feature on my friend list and tap Wind's name...

[NOTICE]

[You are not allowed to use this feature at this time.]

I thought so. I try walking around the room next. I'm still bound by that [Guardian Player] feature with Wind, so knowing the system, there is no way it will ignore it.

Although, a few minutes pass and no notice related to it shows up. Odd... Did something happen to it? I look around for answers, even tapping Wind's name and the [Guardian] feature on the dropdown menu. When I did, a new window appeared and I gasped at what it said.

[NOTICE]

[Please note that while you are required to play alone for this [Hidden Quest], your [Guardian Player] will keep track of your status for the duration and the settings they've provided will still be up per the game rules.

However, they have no right to stop the [Quest] nor leave their current location unless the minor experiences any mental issues during this segment. Player discretion is advised.]

Seriously?! They've allowed me to take on this [Hidden Quest] alone?! Not only that, they've managed to separate me and Wind by bypassing the feature that's supposed to protect me from scary stuff from players and whatever it is (though it did say the child protection settings are still up). Now I feel lonely and scared... What am I going to do now? Whatever this [Hidden Quest] is, I have a feeling I won't able to escape here without completing it. I can't do it without Wind. I can't...

[Oh? Are you giving up already, young one? We haven't started the ceremony yet.]

I gasp when I hear a new voice right behind me. I quickly take out my [Prototype Crystal Staff] (I'm relieved that I still have my equipment and weapons with me) and aim it behind me. But I stop to see an old man wearing a brown hooded robe and a wooden staff that you might see in fantasy novels, films, and tabletop RPGs. I'm taken aback at his sudden appearance, but seeing that he doesn't look hostile or aim his staff at me, I slowly lower my staff. Sure, that might be a dumb move considering he suddenly appeared out of nowhere in a room that I can't seem to get out of. But I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"U-Uh... Sorry..." I apologize. "I'm just completely lost. One minute, we're in a forest with my brother and friend. The next thing I knew...I'm alone in this strange place..." I swallow hard, knowing the next question might be a bit blunt for me to ask an old man like him. "Did you kidnap me?"

From the looks on his face when I ask him, he doesn't seem to be horrified nor not care (or apathetic as Razul calls it) about my well-being.

[Well, I understand your concerns about your current situation, Kazu. But I assure you, I summoned you here because you accepted our call.]