Chapter 122: Prizes and Titles

Here we go again. Standing in front of our [VeilCon] helmets while the game patches up. The last time we did this was before the launch of <Isekai Online> and it's appropriate because, after the update, the game itself will head into the next chapter with its very first expansion. But instead of me reading the instruction manual this time, I noticed Kazuki reading not only the patch notes on his phone but also the forum on the computer monitor. It's the right decision on his end since we're going into uncharted territory with new features and places to explore in the game very soon. However, some concerns are popping up when we reread the notes.

"According to this, there's a feature on increasing your bonds with the NPCs and rewards you if you use it," Kazuki explains. "Does that mean there's a chance we might know how close we are with Bai Hu and the others?"

"Probably. Although the part about [Familiar Bonds] is a bit of a concern," I say. "The mechanics behind it are a bit complicated to understand and execute. Not to mention the values are too hard to memorize. Even if we get our [Familiars], trying to keep them happy is another issue in itself, especially with their AI."

"Does it matter? I thought you said you didn't want to get spoiled by the new features because of me. Is that all just big talk to impress others?" he says with a mischievous grin showing on his face.

"Sorry. But it might take a while for us to get used to them when we get into the game later." I sigh as I take one more look at the notes on Kazuki's phone. "I understand why you want to play this game without relying on the wiki too much, but it's better to risk spoiling some little stuff than getting lost in our confusion."

Kazuki frowns. I get he wants to be surprised, but after our first encounter with the [Link Ants], we might as well prepare for the worst. Still...

"Don't worry, Kaz. It's not like I'm going to cheat by reading the chart. Although, I may avoid it for the sake of keeping the mysteries and surprises awaiting us. Is that okay for you?"

"I guess." Kazuki hums again. "Well, maybe I should go over that new <Lucidus> page. We do want to make a good first impression on it after all."

I smile as I nod at his decision. As that happens, I hear a ring from my smartphone and I moved a few steps away from Kazuki to take this call. Although, I'm surprised to see Zac's caller ID on the screen.

"Hey, Zac. What's up?"

"Do you guys have plans to go to <Lucidus> immediately?"

"Not until we check out Soul Stones and possible [Quests] related to it. Why?" I ask.

"Well, I did a double check on the wiki and I learned that if skip out most of the remaining areas near <Initio>, there's a chance you might miss out on some [Quests] available in <Lucet City>, the capital of <Lucidus>."

Okay? And what's the point of telling us that?

"We did explore some important dungeons like the <Tested Wilds> and <Hill Forest>. What about it?"

"I was wondering about that [Urgent Quest] we took back at the former. Is there a chance we might get some [Quests] from Dalhia when we get there?"

I groan. "You just want a lot of reasons to see and hang out with her again, do you?"

I can hear Zac's overactive gasp from the speaker. "I do not! I am a Knight-in-Training! I am the apprentice who will take the title of captain one day! I have no time for flirting with women like her!"