Chapter 69: Sold Out

After our coffee meeting with Arin and Annie at the cafe, we don't waste any more time scheduling our meetings in the game tonight as we head straight home without stopping anywhere for a drink or snack. Ever since Zac called us about the game, we've been a bit worried about its current state while we've been gone. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but Zac isn't the type to do prank calls...

Well, he did do jump scares and the usual practical jokes from time to time.

But I've never heard speak him with hints of fear in his voice before. The Zac I know is the one who jumps headfirst into battle with no questions asked. If what I've guessed is true, then we have to check it out and see for ourselves.

Once we got Mom's permission again, Kazuki and I quickly log into the game and after we say our brief farewells to the [Force Blade] guards, we don't waste any time running back to <Initio>.

"So what do you think happened that made Arthur panic like that?" Kazu asks as he stared at me with his neutral, yet a bit stern expression.

"I don't know. But all I know is that he better not have omitted any details again unless he wants to walk around with a real-life black-eye."

Yeah, I'm still pissed at Arthur about that. But he better not lie to me again if it's good for hi- HUH?!

Before I know it, we are stopped by a man in a plated armor holding a spear as I notice his glare towards us.

[Halt! Emerald-ranked Adventurers and civilians alike are forbidden to pass through this path until further notice.]

Forbidden? Hang on. From his attire alone, I can tell without looking at his name above him that he is the same as those royal soldiers my friends and I met before. I know they just finished their investigations at the <Tested Wilds> since I heard from the guild members that they can access it again, but I can tell something is up.

"Excuse me? I thought we were allowed to go here and fight monsters."

Oh, right. Kazu hasn't met these guys beforehand. I tap on his shoulder to get his attention.

"Kaz, they're royal soldiers from another kingdom. Show some respect."

"R-Royal?! Are you serious?! But how did you know they are one?"

I quickly shush him in response. We're already on limited time here and I have a feeling the soldiers have the same with whatever's going on with them.

"There have been a string of monster attacks that have been targeting several carts that contain important stock for most of the shops in <Initio>. Until the investigations are complete, we're barring low-ranking Adventurers and citizens for their safety. Rest assured, we will finish as soon as we can."

He then shows us the said incident. To my shock, I see several carts in ruins as several broken bottles and other destroyed tools are lying behind each cart on the ground. I even see several NPCs in bandages as some of the soldiers tend to their wounds and assure some of the younger NPCs to calm down and promised them that it will be okay.

"What is it? I can't see it through the filters."

Thank goodness for the [Guardian Player] features. Because unknown to him, I also see several mauled bodies lying near the destroyed carts, something that the system adamantly refuses to show a minor like Kazu. It might be best to leave him in the dark for now.

"Don't worry about it, Kaz. Let's not disturb their work until they're finished," I said to Kazu as I place my hand on his shoulder before I turn to the soldier. "And it's okay, sir. We're just on our way back to <Initio>."