Chapter 64: Apprentice

It has been a while since I've done training since that [Cooking] stint. This time, I have the luck of training my [Blacksmithing] skill inside the game with an experienced Blacksmith mentoring me on the basics both online and offline. Not only have I gained some [EXP] during his lessons, but he has also given me some several kits to help me get started on this [Mastery], which is a big relief since we had to escape the town before I could stop by at any nearby general stores for them. Plus, he also debunked many beliefs about blacksmithing that have been portrayed in popular media. From melting metal and pouring into the mold not being the right way to that forging to forging a broken sword by piecing it together like a puzzle and then hammering the hot pieces back together, will not fix it, I feel like I learned a lot about the real art of blacksmithing.

Once Wallaby calls for a break, I let out a sigh of relief as I sit down on a nearby wooden chair before staring at my new sword.

[Blacksmith's Short Sword]

[A simple short sword made by an amateur blacksmith. It is used for training, but it might not be a good sword to use for fighting monsters.

Effects: +10 ATK

Quality: 9]

Just staring at the description makes my heart pound at the fact that I made my first sword by my own hands. Well, I did make that bow beforehand, but mastering a skill that I never did before is much more rewarding to experience.

"So, liking your first handmade sword so far?"

I turn to Wallaby when I heard his voice as I notice him approaching me with his usual big smile on his face.

"Yeah. It looks a bit better than I expected. Though I wouldn't make it like this without your help, Mr. Wally."

I mean it. If I build it without his help, then this sword's quality would go down from decent nine to a measly one.

"Nah, I'm just guidin' you the ins and outs of forging. Your strength and endurance allowed you to create a study sword in your first try. Many player aren't able to manage that if they try it without that useless menu."

True, but that menu is there for a reason. Then again, he is a professional blacksmith in real life, so I can't correct him for his sake.

"It's nothing, really. I did have my [Physical Enhancement] ability active, so all of the heavy work is thanks to it."

"Ability? Don't you mean [Mastery]?"

I chuckle a bit at his correction.

"Yeah, I know what it is. It's just that saying [Mastery] a lot is a bit mouthful. It's just an easier way to say it alternatively."

"I understand. But don't get too humble. Not everyone can master this hobby in real life. You need enough upper body strength and patience to make something amazing out of iron and wood. If you want to survive this world, you have to take advantage of what you have and seize every opportunity you will gain from it. If you keep on doing the same skill or hobby every day, you won't able to learn anything else. You know what they said: "Variety is the spice of life"."

I understand what he meant. I had originally intended to play the game to keep an eye on Kazuki. But the more I played [Isekai], the more I became just as invested in the game's fantasy world like him. And that's saying something from one month of experience.

"Anyways, now that you know the basics, I'll take that sword off from your hands now. The recruits broke a bunch of our training weapons a few days ago and we kind of need some replacements."