Chapter 20: Distant

It had been a few days since our first [Quest] in Isekai Online and let me tell you, a lot had gone on after that day. While we were happy about our recent success, both of us were having trouble in our school lives. Sure, I'd managed to finish my homework after we logged out, but the fact our class already announced for our mid-terms exams occurring in about two weeks had caught me off-guard.

I just groaned and slapped my face when I learned this. I had been so focused on the game and my friends lately that I had neglected my class schedules almost completely. It wasn't any better for Kazuki as he told me that his school was going to have a physical education test for the upcoming Intramural sports next week. I knew he'd already mentioned me this a million times now, but the fact he lacks in physical strength and needs to pass this test avoid flunking P.E. may be a problem for him. Usually, I would ignore this fact, but the worry of my brother's shortcomings might cause him to bug me every day. Not only that, I couldn't just leave him to deal with this alone. I had my reasons why, but I knew this was one dilemma I can't just ignore.

As for the game itself, we didn't abandon it entirely because of our studies. After school, Kazuki and I sometimes logged into the game to chat with Mari, and to try gaining more [EXP] for our combat skills. There was no real reason behind all of that grinding except to blow off some steam and our inner frustrations regarding the upcoming exams.

It wasn't until today when Mom left due to a journalism assignment. And since Dad was working overtime, we were all alone to fend for ourselves for a few days. Though I wasn't worried about it one bit. I was in the kitchen chopping carrots, onions, and cabbages to prepare for dinner. I heard some footsteps behind me, which I stopped chopping and turned around to see my brother entering the kitchen.

"Oh, Kaz. I didn't expect you to be here so early," I said somewhat startled due to his sudden appearance.

"Well, I actually need some help with my Spanish work again, but you seem to be pretty busy here," Kazuki said before flashing a suspicious grin that made me a bit nervous. "Then again, I never expect that of all people, my own brother would take Mom's place in cooking dinner."

Ugh... just seeing Kazuki's grin reminds me a lot of those evil villains in cartoons and some anime. Or a certain long-haired old man in that one video game-based anime that I never played before. Still, I was still a bit embarrassed, which didn't help especially considering that I was currently wearing a white apron saying "Kiss the Mom". (Why did Dad give it to her as a birthday present in the first place?!)

Regardless, I just sighed and said, "You're just lucky I'm here to prepare meals while Mom is out of town. Thank goodness she taught me how to cook before she left."

Kazuki just chuckled before he jumped on one of the dining chairs. "Don't worry about it, bro. Besides, you did ask Mom to teach you, and you do need some cooking knowledge for the game. If we want to survive the world of <Volo>, we have to learn all the skills of our chosen <Mastery> as we can! Plus, I'm getting tired of eating nothing bread and fruit from the NPC shops."

He had a point. During our ventures in the game a few days ago, we had to manage our hunger levels with some [Bread], [Apples], and [Pears]. And while the mentioned fruits tasted normal as in ones in the real world, the bread in the game tasted a bit bland, almost like a salty cracker and unseasoned instant noodles. Just the thought of it made me want to stay away from the real-life versions for a while.

"Yeah... Now that I think about it, I got some ideas regarding my [Cooking] skill," I muttered as I scratched my chin while looking at the vegetables on the chopping board. "But let's think about it after dinner and homework. I'll help you with your Spanish homework later."