Chapter 58: Unwanted Attention

After a long day of R&R with my friends, I pick Kazuki up from school and we stop at the ice cream parlor before going home. I had to because I knew how exhausted he was during the exams. And after one look at his face, I had a feeling he needed something to take his mind off any lingering trauma from his toughest challenge yet.

"So how are you feeling, Kaz?"

He sighs as he takes a bite of his chocolate wafer from his chocolate chips parfait.

"Awful... I can't believe I had to sit there and do calculus without a calculator," he groaned. "Do I have to keep doing this until I'm 18 or older?!"

"If you want to get into a good college, then yes," I answered. "Don't worry. After we get our report cards, we don't have to worry about school until the end of the winter break."

Hearing this, Kazuki sighs again, this time with relief as he gives a small smile at it.

"I guess you're right. I just have to keep my head up and hope for the best."

I pat his head and return a smile to him.

"Besides, I can't let you get distracted for later. I know I never thought I say this, but I'm going to need your help back in [Isekai]."

As expected, Kazuki's eyes widen and his face flashes a big grin.

"Really?! What is it?"

I explain everything on what I need for today as well as my plans regarding my equipment.

----

Later, after returning home, we have had our usual family dinner with our parents. There, I convince my Mom to let Kazuki play the game with me tonight. Thankfully, it goes off without a hitch since she also thinks that he studied hard for the week and deserves some kind of break. It didn't take long for him to react with excitement and relief, for the first time in a long time. But that's not all. I contact Star for our usual equipment checkups and agree for us to meet up with them once we're logged in. The problem is...

"What do you mean we can't meet up with Zac and Damon?"

I sigh upon hearing this. I still like them as friends, but there's something about their earlier behavior earlier that has me suspicious.

"It's not that we had an argument, but they seemed to be very keen on letting me out of the game for a while. Not to mention that whenever I've noticed several people glaring at me at the Guild, they often evade my questions to the point of eagerly trying to convince to log out without stopping by the <Crafting Hall> or the marketplace," I explain as I prepared my [VeilCon]. "I know it sounds dangerous, but I'm not letting their nonsensical paranoia stop us from getting back to [Isekai]."

"O-Oh... That's nice to hear."

I let out a slight chuckle as I lay down on my bed wearing my VR console.

"Don't worry. If anything happens, I'll be there to protect you as your [Guardian Player] as usual."

Kazuki smiles as he wears the same VR console on his head.

"So, together again?"

I let out a smile back as I close my eyes and said, "Together again."

Yep, together back into <Volo>.

"[Dive In]!"

My consciousness begins to fade as a flash of light clouds my entire vision, allowing it to re-enter the game.

----

As I open my eyes, I turn around and see Kazu lying down on his bed next to mine. It's a bit of a relief since the last time I entered the game, I was alone when I woke up in our room. Taking a deep breath, I stand up and stretch my arms and legs as Kazu does the same.