Chapter 99: True Conviction

Who knew planning a birthday party would take longer than I thought? Not only have we gone through venues that would make it possible to host and have catering services with our current family budget and Kazuki's tastes, but we also want to make sure the guest list is only for our closest friends and family. Other than my friends, Zac and Damon along with Yuri himself, there's also Arin, Star's player, Annie, and possibly ol' Wally. There's a lot to organize, but it will be worth it in time for the party. With my input done, all that's left is for Mom (and Dad if he gets back from work) to take care of the more difficult stuff that I can't do alone.

Besides, I've already taken a longer break than I thought I had from all the party shopping and venue scouting. Thankfully, I've got about 10 minutes until [Sleep Mode] is over, so I have enough time to get back home and into my bedroom to prepare to get back to my [Hidden Quest] in the game. However, I wasn't alone when I entered my room as my Mom followed me in, mostly because she might be worried about Kazuki as well. Makes sense since I'm usually the one in charge when it comes to him playing [Isekai Online] as his [Guardian Player]. Of course, I did have some explaining to do since she knows about certain features, like how I'm not supposed to log out or use [Sleep Mode] without Kazuki until his birthday.

"According to his VeilCon, nothing abnormal so far," I say to Mom. "Don't worry, once he's done with his [Quest], we'll meet back in-game and log out together this time."

"I hope so. I still can't believe the game allows you to separate both of you even in the game. What were those game developers thinking?!"

All I can do is chuckle very awkwardly. That's what I've been thinking about lately. Did Dad even approve of this in the first place?

"Anyways, I should get back in before it gives me a penalty for being late or something. We'll try to get back before dinner."

Thankfully, Mom snaps out of her anger long enough to see me off into the game. "Just be careful, dear. I can't imagine what happens if he's there without you."

I chuckle again. This is after she encouraged me to be independent from Kaz. "I'm off then."

I quickly put on my VeilCon and lay down on my bed as soon as I can. To my relief, I only have about 4 minutes until [Sleep Mode] is over. But recent updates allow me to get back into the game without waiting for the timeout. Besides, I've already made up my mind and I'm now ready to face the trials once more.

[Confirming user... Confirming manual deactivation of [Sleep Mode]...

Please wait as we log you back into [Isekai Online].]

Get ready, General Veritates. Because I'm ready for Round 2.

-----

"Well, this is interesting."

Dux smiles as he notices another crystal showing footage from another room. This time, he sees a young man yawning as he gets up from the floor while stretching his arms.

[It seems like the half-[Insignis] hunter has woken up from his nap, but it didn't seem like he wasn't in low spirits compared to two hours ago,] the woman's voice echoes from another crystal.

"Maybe he found his motivation after some reflection on his dreams. Regardless, all we can do is observe and see if he can survive his second attempt."

The woman chuckles and says, [Are you still not confident about the half's progress in his test?]

"Sort of." Dux hums under his hood as he watches the footage. "However, if he finds the answer he was looking for, then there is a high chance he will pass the test with flying colors."