Chapter 21: Taste Test

As we walked around the streets of <Initio>, I was very surprised at how crowded it was. I was aware that it was already nighttime in the game, but I never seen so many people logged in before. It reminded me so much of New York's Time Square and just the thought of passing through such crowded streets again made my skin crawl. Still, it really did feel like the virtual fantasy city was alive and real. At least that's one thing I could adapt to in this game.

<Initio> aside, it was time for us to start on our main objective for the day. Since we gained many experience points for our combat skills the last time, Kaz and I decided to try our hands with some crafting [Masteries]. After our first [Quest] a week ago, Kaz informed me that if we wanted to survive against more monsters like that [Wild Bear], we had to prepare ourselves and get some high-level gear. Since I had a [Woodcrafting] skill, I figured I could try to make my very own bow in the future. But there was still the worry of obtaining some food cooked via other levels, so right now, I had to work on my [Cooking] skill. But first, I'd been wondering about something.

"Kaz... Where do you think we should stay? I can't exactly cook in the middle of the street."

It was true. There were so many players and player-made shops and stand around here, I knew I couldn't cook without people stopping and staring at me out of curiosity. Besides, I'd just cooked for a few days in the real world and I didn't really have the skills of an ace professional chef.

"We can't exactly use the inn's kitchen unless we're on a [Quest] and cooking outside the city would only give us more problems." Kaz scratched his chin as he hummed a bit. "Fortunately, Mari told us about a special place to hone any kind of crafting [Skills] that's nearby. I hope we can find a vacant place for us to work with. I do need to make more potions and level up my [Alchemy] skill so I can get more recipes."

"I guess... Well, let's stop by at the general store and get me a kit to work with first."

"Right. And maybe I can try to get a better [Alchemy] kit there as well! The basic one is great, but I think it's time for me to buy a new better one."

I nodded in agreement before we headed off to the general store. Hopefully, by the time we got to that building, we could find a vacant area in time.

----

After a few minutes, we left the general store and headed to our next destination and let me tell you, it wasn't very easy pricing shopping. While the [Beginner Cooking Kit] had a cheap price of 300 [Lapi], Kaz's [Advanced Alchemy Kit] was way more expensive than the first kit. With a price of about 1000 [Lapi], I felt that if it wasn't for the drops we sold from our few excursions, we'd be flat broke right now. Regardless, there's no way I could complain forever. We got what we needed, so we might as well forge on ahead.

"Hey, we're here, Wind!"

Those words startled me so much that I jumped almost like a lion about to pounce on its prey. Thankfully, it was just Kaz's voice as I felt him tugging one of my sleeves. Guess that's what I get for straying myself into my thoughts again.

"So, this is the place, huh?" I looked up and saw a three-story building right in front of me. It was just like any building I saw around town. But the main differences were that the building's roof had three chimneys and two bulletin boards plastered at the storefront, where several players were loitering right in front. This didn't surprise me in the least. Mari did mention that the <Adventurer's Guild> has a separate category of [Quests] for any players who prefer to focus on their crafting [Masteries]. Not to mention, there was a rack containing several pamphlets near the entrance.