Chapter 110: Shadow Doppelganger

Doppelgangers...

Apparitions whose appearance resembles very much like the original. In fiction and mythology, they are portrayed as spirits who bring bad luck upon being found. In other stories, they are unrelated people who simply act as evil twins to the protagonists. There have been several portrayals of doppelgangers in recent times along with a movie about evil family twins in red jumpsuits from years ago.

However, the one in the mirror... They don't look like any other doppelganger I know. The way they knew of my current dilemmas and my brother without me uttering a single word about them. How they threw insults right off the bat the moment he entered the room. It feels very familiar, yet horrifying enough to almost drop my sword. I want to use my [Investigate] on this strange boss, but I don't have the heart to do anything right now after seeing my own reflection grinning horrifyingly.

[What's the matter, me? Cat got your tongue? I thought you were going to... What you say... "Kick my a**"? Hahaha!]

This bastard... I wish I could punch this guy's face right now. But if this quest is what I think it is, then everything I've endured from that point would be utterly meaningless if I snap back. The past two trials were there for a reason and I have to keep my head cool if I want this quest to succeed.

"Yeah, laugh it up. I just didn't expect a copy of me being the final boss," I say while wearing my mask of cool in front of him. "What's the point of you mimicking me anyway, copycat?"

[Hmmm... Good question, one which you would die the moment you find the answer,] the imposter clapped back from the reflection. [Besides, your last two fights were a fluke. You only won because you got a lot of lucky shots.]

Lucky? The fights themselves say otherwise. I was defeated once by Veritates, made a risky move to win the rematch, and had to use underhanded tactics to teach Acutus a lesson. But it's not like my imposter would end up twisting those events to satisfy their desire to make me miserable during the final fight of the [Hidden Quest]. They might be listening to this as I stare down at them.

"Can you do better than insulting me? Acutus did it first and honestly, it's getting boring." I raise my sword one more time against the mirror. "Besides, I already know your next line is going to be about my brother, right? Sorry to say that's not gonna work this time."

[Oh?] My mirror self tilts their head as if they're confused. [And what makes you think of that? I mean, whoever's in charge here must have used this "test" as an excuse to kidnap little Kazu and his pathetic friend. Does that make you mad with rage? You're worried sick about him like a mother wolf worrying about her pup! So what do you think? You're going to take it out on me for your weak and pathetic brother?]

Honestly, I thought of that the moment I found myself in this place, too. Why did that person who called herself a "sage" suddenly put me here away from my brother who was supposed to be protected with the [Guardian Player] system? My head was on high alert when I couldn't get out of refusing the [Hidden Quest].

"Yeah, you're right about all of them. I'm worried about Kazu when he's not around. It's not different when we're adventuring together around <Volo>. As his older brother, I should have done a better job keeping an eye on him while helping him out of trouble, whether from bullies or otherwise. So you're not wrong. I'm plenty worried for him."

I can see them grinning again. It's as if they don't care about my feelings at all. [Good. At least you're a-]

"However..."

STAB!

CRACK!

I know there's a myth about getting bad luck if you break a mirror. But I don't care at this point since my blade is already on the mirror.