Chapter 47: Alone in Volo

It had been a few minutes since I had arrived home. As expected, I found Kazuki, who had just arrived before me thanks to Mom. And given his current predicament, he found himself cooped up in our bedroom after dinner, struggling to read a Math textbook in an attempt to study up for tomorrow's exam. Considering that he's desperate to pass his midterms, I figured I should help him out for his sake. However, there was something I needed to do first.

"Logging in that game again at exam week?"

I grinned sheepishly as I tried to keep my composure right in front of our mother. I knew she might be mad if I tried logging in without her permission. So what better way to avoid the inevitable than to risk myself by telling her directly?

"Y-Yeah. It's nothing too important. I just studied a lot this week and I could use a break for a while. And don't worry, I'm going to help Kaz out with his studying before I log in. Plus, I won't be long in the game since I just want to do something brief."

I was pretty nervous. I did have plans in the game regarding my skills, but the part about "a short amount of time" was true to my word. I just hoped she wouldn't see this as a way for me to escape my studies because I had focused on them lately. And as I waited, she hummed for a few seconds while scratching her chin.

"If you say was true, then..."

Oh boy... Here comes the verdict. I hoped that she wouldn't stomp her foot on the floor and say...

"I'll give you permission to play for a little while."

"Come on, Mom. I..."

Huh?

"W-What did you say?"

"I said you're allowed to play it. But on one condition: you only play for 30 minutes or less, no exceptions."

I... I couldn't believe it. Did she just approve of her permission? I was relieved to hear her answer, but something didn't seem right...

"U-Uh... Thanks? But why'd you said yes? I thought you would end going up and arms against it and ground me to make me focus just like Kazuki."

"Huh? Why would you think that? I've always been worried about your midterms and practically any previous exams during middle and high school. I'm happy that you're diligently studying for these times, but I'm worried that you might have a problem with studying too much since you've done so many times without breaks."

This was true. Whenever I returned home during exam weeks, I would study non-stop after dinner without any thought of a break or just giving my mind a rest before heading to bed. And to be honest, it was starting to become a bad habit. I could only respond to this revelation with a sheepish chuckle and a scratch of my head.

"Honestly, I know you want to keep up with your grades, but there are times I feel that it's starting to affect you mentally. I know I'm still got mixed feelings regarding that online game that your father is a helping develop, but maybe it'll be good to break your usual routine this week." That seemed fair. Mom had the same mindset as my friends, which I still couldn't believe. "But that doesn't mean you can play it for hours on end. It's still midterm's week, and I'm just allowing you because you need a well-deserved break."

Still the same mother I know, but it's a good start...

"I know, I know. 30 minutes or less and then I have to log out, right?"

My Mom nods in response, and I sighed in relief.

"As long as you promise to be careful online, I give you my permission. But please help out Kazuki first, okay?"

"Don't worry. I'm not logging in until I do."

With that, I wished my Mom a good night before I headed upstairs.