Chapter 54: Splitting Up

Some things come with risk and reward. In my case, I'm risking my relationship with an NPC, who has the power to destroy us if I don't fulfill his promise. However, the reward is not only kicking these bastard bandits out of this forest but to save those two important NPCs and hopefully Arthur from a crazed crime lord. To do that, I share my plans with someone who is with me during the chase.

"Wait, we're going to split up?! Wind, are you out of your mind?!"

I shake my head "no" at Razul and answer, "Just trust me. I know what I'm doing. By the time we run into a fork, we'll split up and lure them to a respective open area at the end of each road. And since we made the first strike to each of the bandits before they could attack Arthur, I have a feeling they'll be splitting up to chase us down too for our little interference."

As I said, there is a risk behind this crazy plan. But if we don't do this, there is a high chance Arthur won't able to defeat Bane thanks to these jokers around. Thankfully, Razul sighs, which I can tell he understands what I'm trying to do here.

"All right. But try to limit yourself. Your main strength is ranged attacks and I doubt you'll able to survive in a long-term melee fight."

"Says the guy who wields a magical pistol and rifle as his main weapons."

"Touché."

After a few seconds of running, the bandits start throwing daggers behind us. This causes Razul to pull out his gun and shoot several bullets behind him to deflect them. I don't know if that would even work in real life, but at least it canceled out their ranged attacks. He then pockets his gun as he growls.

"Dammit, I can't keep this up! I don't know if I have enough [MP] for my pistol's ammo!"

He has a point. This means we have to act fast...

WHOOSH!!!

And just in time. Right in front of us, a road starts to split in two, which I figure leads to our destinations.

"W-What the hell?! Where did that second road come from?!"

I quickly figure it as Bai Hu's doing. Regardless, it is time.

"No time to play 20 questions! This is our chance!"

"W-What?! Isn't it a bit suspicious for us to split us up on these two strange roads?!"

Yeah, I can agree. But I trust Bai Hu and I already have told him of my plan. So I have no doubts about this.

"I told you to trust me! I'm sure at the end will be your key advantage to your success."

"Huh?"

I didn't say anymore. I just head for the right road and shout, "Good luck, Razul!"

I quickly run ahead, hoping that one of the bandits will follow me.

"W-Wait, Wind! Don't leave me behind so soon!"

I wish I can, Razul. But if we don't do this, then everything we've done so far will be pointless.

----

Okay, so far, there are no monsters or obstacles in my path. I guess that Bai Hu already went ahead and commanded the monsters to stop attacking me. This is perfect since I need my full strength to execute my next plan. Eventually, after about five minutes of running, I come to the end of the path, which is an open field with the trees spread around me like walls. Just like I predicted or rather, I requested.

[About time you stopped running, you coward!]

I turned around upon hearing that gruff voice. To my surprise, I see that the bandit with the bandanna and a dagger on hand is the one who just followed me here. If I remember, he is the one who insulted Bai Hu's name and his forest earlier. This is perfect. I promised Bai Hu that I would take care of him in his place and I would make sure to teach him not to speak ill of this sacred place!