Chapter 52: Violent Encounter

Okay, let me recap on what has happened so far:

1. I decided to join Zac and Damon on a few -Quests- while Kazuki finished studying for his last day of exams.

2. We encountered a band of royal soldier NPCs during our run, who were seemingly investigating the plague that devastated the [Tested Wilds] until Kazu and I eliminated its source.

3. Just before we logged out, we heard that the same band of soldiers had been attacked by bandits.

4. Arthur and Razul started fighting over brains and brawns (again).

And 5: I let my annoyance overcome my rationality and tried to ambush the bandits without any thought or reason...

Yeah, something told me this was not going to end on a hopeful note.

"How dare he try to sneak attack us like that?!," one of the bandits shouted out in a rage. "He is dead! Dead I tell you!"

I wished I could snark about his grammar, but how could I after I had just accidentally made us new targets for their blood fest?!

"Wind, what the hell did you just do?!"

Well, at least my thoughtless ambush had snapped Arthur and Razul out of their quarrel. But now...

"I'm sorry! But since you two were so distracted with your brains versus brawn debate, I had to act before they can kill the soldiers!" I reasoned to a pissed-off Arthur.

"Yeah, I guess so. But now, you've aggravated them and they're deadset on killing you!"

"Wait, can't you distract those bandits with your skills?" Razul spoke up.

"I could, but those guys are known as [Story Enemies]. Sources say that their AIs are different than those of normal monsters and because of that, they're a bit more difficult to distract from their first attacker. Even if I use my aggro to distract them, that doesn't mean Wind will be safe!"

Now he told me... If those two hadn't fought and forced me to make a reckless move to ambush the bandits, Arthur could've told me that one little important info beforehand...

"In any case, we're here to help out these soldiers one way or another. There's no turning back now. Arthur, you're with me. We'll take them head-on. Razul, you take my role as our long-ranged fighter!"

As I declared this, I saw them draw their weapons as Razul said, "You don't have to tell us twice. Just be careful, Wind."

I silently answered with a nod as Arthur and I headed towards the charging bandits, as Razul followed behind us. I know the flavor text wasn't going to affect their stats or anything, but since they were obsessed with violence, then perhaps we could take advantage of that. But for now, we opted to stick to defense and aggression until then. If we wanted to save those soldiers, we had to play smart.

"Hey, you crazy punks! If you want my friend, you'll have to go through me first!" Arthur shouted as he rushed forward and stopped in-between me and the bandits with his sword in hand. "Now, Wind!"

I knew his reckless defense might not be enough, but it gave me enough time to shoot a few arrows and damage them a bit. With a bow and arrows in hand, I quickly shot 10 arrows at them. Some of the bandits screamed as some of the arrows pierced their legs, arms, and chest, while the others cut down the other arrows with their bladed weapons. I wish I could shoot more, but with our current formation and the bandits aiming at me, I had to rely on my [Wind] magic to push them away.

"Spirit of Sylph, hear my call. Stir the wind all around me. Unleash the storm to push back my foes! [Gale Force]!"

As I swung my arm towards the bandits, I conjured up a gust of wind that was strong enough to push back some of the bandits, allowing Arthur to take care of them while I took care of the others who hadn't been blown away by my spell. By using the "divide and conquer" method, I should be able to take them down with Arthur's help. Thankfully, it only took a few more slashes and another spell to kill about four bandits on my end while Arthur managed to take care of two of them.