Chapter 39: Bai Hu

Bai Hu. Also known as the White Tiger. I didn't know much about history, but I did know about the Chinese mythology behind the legend thanks to some minor research on me and Hayate's parts whenever we came up with any RPG campaigns at the time. If I remembered correctly, Bai Hu was one of the Four Gods or Symbols and it represented the direction of west and the autumn season. Also, I remember that the mythology mentioned that the white tiger would only appear during a time when the emperor ruled Japan in peace. In Japan, most of them called it "Byakko" and most of the media were inspired by it as well as the other Symbols. So it was no surprise that this mythology found its way into this game.

Nonetheless, I was still shell-shocked that this boss monster based on Byakko was now healing my brother with kind of spell. I didn't know what it was, but I could tell from my skills that it had so much mana within it that it could put Wind back on his feet in no time. Eventually, the tiger backed away as the glow on my brother's body began to fade, and to my surprise, Wind managed to sit up and saw he was able to move his hands and fingers once more.

"M-My hands..." He muttered and looked at his legs as he stood up. "My legs... I can move again!"

<Wind> [Party Member]

[HP: 590/590]

[Condition: Healthy]

[NOTICE]

[The [White Tiger of the Beginning], [Bai Hu] has healed your party member, <Wind> to full health.]

Whoa... If that's what the powers of the [White Tiger of the Beginning] were like, then it was a huge relief that he was not our enemy anymore. More importantly, I was glad that Wind is okay.

I then noticed him rub his left arm as he approached the monster with a regretful look on his face. "I-I'm still surprised about all this, but... Thank you for saving me, Mr. White Tiger."

"Um... Wind..." I interjected. "His name is Bai Hu and he's the guardian of this forest."

"Oh... I see. And since you seem to understand me, then I want to thank you again for saving me, Mr. Bai Hu. And we're sorry for invading into your home."

Bai Hu nodded at this and before I could say anything to Wind, he suddenly approached me and whispered, asking a favor from me. I was surprised at what he had asked, but I decided to follow it for Wind's sake as I watched the tiger turn his attention to my brother.

[All is forgiven, young [Human]. However, you both must be aware at how dangerous these woods are for young adventurers like yourselves.]

As I turned to look at Wind, I saw him raised his eyebrow as his expression turned into confusion. It seemed that Bai Hu was right. Because of my race, I could communicate with him without any problems. But to anyone who wasn't an [Insignis], all they could get were the typical tiger roars and growls. And that was no exception to Wind, since his character was a [Human]. So all I could do was to translate everything that Bai Hu said to him. Plus, he is my older brother and [Guardian Player], so obviously I couldn't leave him locked out of the loop regarding everything in the game.

"Y-Yeah. Though, try telling that to the [Insignis] who dragged us out here without any warnings."

I quickly shivered as Wind gave me a quick glare, which I quickly replied, "Come on! I already said I was sorry! Plus, I promised myself to do my homework before the next time we go into any dangerous places."

"Well... as long as you learned your lesson. Also, you owe me two days off from <Volo> once we're done here, okay?"

I gulped as he said this. I really didn't like going several days without playing <Isekai>. But then again, I did deserve it for rushing in while not knowing the dangers in the <Tested Wilds>. I reluctantly agreed to this with a sigh of defeat.