Chapter 118: Birthday Boy

"ARGH!!! No! I don't want to wear a necktie!"

"H-Hey! Calm down, Kaz! My suit costs me $37!"

I struggle to stop Zac from getting that tie on my neck. Neckties are my weakness and wearing one makes me feel like I'm running out of air. Ugh... I wish Mom was here to help me dress up. When it comes to Dad, Hayate, Zac, and Damon, they are the worst when it comes to party clothes.

"Come on, Kaz. This is your big day. I'm not going to defend Zac's poor fashion choices with our suits, but at least try to wear something decent for this occasion," Damon says as he starts approaching me. "You're turning 13 and no one can take you seriously as a man if you're not wearing a suit and tie."

"But I don't want to wear something dangerous to my neck... Can't you let me choose what I can wear for my own birthday?"

"And let you wear regular shirts and sneakers on this formal occasion? That's a big negative, buddy," Zac says as he walks towards me with the tie I threw away. "Just bear with us for a while. It will be quick. We promise."

Like I believe you two! I'm not going to be risking my neck over this! I want to leave now!

"Seriously, you two? How can a birthday boy enjoy his party if you continue to torture him with accessories he doesn't want to wear in the first place?"

I gasp as I stop struggling and turn around to see...

"Yuri! You made it!"

I smile upon seeing Yuri entering the suite that was reserved as my personal dressing room. Unlike what I'm about to wear, he's wearing a blue jacket, a green dress shirt without a tie, blue pants, and black shoes. He is also carrying a small gift which I think he might give to me immediately. Knowing my parents, I feel it would get rid of the surprise if I started being impatient. So yeah, I'm still peeved about it. But I have a good reason now to open all of my presents with my family and friends instead of opening along with Hayate.

"Yo, happy birthday to you, Kaz," Yuri greets as he walks towards me. "But seriously, you should give him a break. If Kazuki doesn't want to wear a necktie, then don't. Don't force him into accessories he refuses to wear no matter how silly a reason he has."

"Glad you can understand, Yuri." I smiled for a while until I realized what he said. "Hey! My reasons for not wearing a necktie aren't silly!"

Despite my protests, Yuri chuckles just before I see my Mom come in behind Yuri.

"Well, your tantrums aren't helping your case, young man," she says as she walks up to me. "Then again, I agree neckties aren't your style."

With that said, she removes the necktie that was almost tied up and straightens my neck collar. This gives me the chance to take a deep breath. "Thanks, Mom. You saved my neck again."

"You're welcome, sweetheart. But if you keep complaining, chances are that I won't come back to save you, okay?" Mom said in the gentle voice I know and love. "You're now 13 years old and you need to stop acting like a baby. You don't want to disappoint Hayate, right?"

Oh, right. I'm not 12 anymore. Once the maintenance is over, Hayate won't be my [Guardian Player] anymore. I like the freedom from his overprotectiveness, but I feel lonely just thinking about it.

"I'm sorry, Mom," I say while trying to straighten my suit. "But I promise I'm not only doing this for him. I'm doing it for you, Dad, and our friends. I thought trying to play solo in the game would help me start off being 13, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to go without Hayate. I thought being 13 was supposed to be the start of me acting like a teen like him, but..."