chapter 8.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ let's swim to the moon,
let's climb through the tide,
surrender to the waiting worlds,
that lap against our side. ❞

- jim morrison.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

It had been eleven months since Kocho Kanae had met Y/N, the morning after she had left before Y/N woke up, leaving a note on the table inside their room.

'Dear Y/N-san,

Sorry for leaving so early; I was called for a mission.

Thank you for yesterday. I haven't had a fun day like that since I became a pillar, you indeed are one of a kind, and I'm glad I met you.

You will make an excellent slayer and maybe even pillar one day.

Please do make the time to come to the butterfly estate. I would gladly introduce you to my two sisters.

(Drag Himejima-san if you have to!)

Kocho Kanae'

It may not have shown, but Y/N was more determined than ever to train, and they trained their hardest. The past months have been agonisingly painful with all the training, but they knew it would be worth it. After around four months from the day Y/N had met Kanae, Gyomei started personally sparring with them (read: they got beat up a lot and had bruises that lasted months). Although it was unintentional, it allowed them to build pain tolerance, which Y/N was glad about. It was in the seventh month that Y/N was able to fight back against Gyomei; even the tiniest amount, they were only able to block Gyomei's hits and not fight back, but it was progress. They knew it would take years to get to Gyomei's level, who had been a pillar for nearly a decade.

They also kept up with their bi-weekly meet-up with Kagaya and the rest of the Ubuyashiki family, getting familiar with Amane and the children. They got along quite well with them, especially Kiriya, the only boy among the quadruplets.

They had persuaded Gyomei to take them to the butterfly mansion a month after they had met Kanae, as the slayer felt like they were improving a lot faster than before, so they allowed themselves a day to recoup and have fun. There they had met Kocho Shinobu – who was as angry as Kanae had said, and the quiet Tsuyuri Kanao.

Surprisingly, Shinobu's anger had simmered quite a lot since meeting Y/N, but only around them. Her face still held that same angry look, her eyebrows scrunched up and lips pursed, but whenever Y/N was around, her look became softened, and she was less likely to murder someone. Kanae liked to tease Y/N that Shinobu had a crush on them, and Y/N did not think so. (They are pretty oblivious). To Y/N, Shinobu had a dark purple aura that faded into a light purple, with a red splinter (caused by her anger). It was pretty nice to look at, Y/N had realised.