chapter 18.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ the moon stared at me
through sprinkled nighttime stardust
and i alone smile. ❞

- jay long.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

The next day, Y/N woke up to birds chirping happily, the sun shining through the window, lighting up their room. The chance to sit down and chat with Gyomei and Shinobu yesterday helped Y/N relax. As they were having some food with Gyomei – just like the times when they were his student, a Kasugai crow had come with a letter from Kagaya, telling the new Moon Pillar that their estate would be made and be done within the week (it had already been started a week prior, as even if Y/N hadn't killed that Lower Moon, Kagaya would've asked them to become a pillar anyways).

After eating – with some excitement over getting their own estate, the h/c haired slayer knew what they wanted to do today. They got dressed into the familiar black and purple bee-hived nagagi kimono, leaving their uniform off for the moment. They strapped their Nichirin blade to their waist and went off towards the waterfall after bidding a small 'see you later' to Gyomei.

Walking towards the waterfall they used to train at, they sat on the typical log that was covered in butterfly and crescent moon carvings. Y/N placed their blade next to them, the butterfly clip hanging off the log, and stared off into the rising sun. The tranquil atmosphere of the water slashing, the birds singing in the trees, the leaves susurrate with the gentle wind. Y/N's shoulder slowly begin to relax and took a deep breath.

"I did it."

Y/N whispered, a smile on their face as the sun beamed down on them. Their e/c eyes glimmered with happiness but hazing with tears that never fell.

A small butterfly flew over, dancing around Y/N. They held up their finger, letting the butterfly sit on it. It was like Kanae was telling them they were proud and that she was here for them.

A chuckle bubbled out of Y/N, watching as the butterfly flew away. They took that as their sign and stood up, grabbing their sword. "Thank you." They murmured, and turned around, walkin towards the forward.

A weight to have lifted from Y/N's shoulder, and they had never felt freer.

-

It had been a few hours, and Y/N had replied to the Kamado family's letter. Now they were just taking a walk on their own, making the most of their spare day that Kagaya had let them have. They found themselves walking to the Butterfly estate, they hadn't spoken to Kanao or the new butterfly triplets that Shinobu had taken in in a while.

Well, Y/N would have been alone if they hadn't bumped into a certain black-haired pillar with blue eyes – one of the pillars who never introduced themselves to Y/N.