chapter 12.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ i don't wanna overthink it,
don't wanna have any regrets. ❞

- not shy, itzy.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

Walking up the path filled with wisteria trees, the purple flowers glowing almost luminescent against the moon's light. Y/N felt a rush of adrenaline hit them. They were finally here, a year of gruelling training, the e/c eyed knew they could do it. It was normal to be nervous for stuff like this.

They walked up the last bit of the stairs, seeing many people hanging around. Y/N looked over to the back, seeing Kiriya and Kanata standing there holding lanterns, probably waiting for the last of the people to arrive. Catching the eyes of both of them, the siblings both sent a small, almost unnoticeable smile, which Y/N nodded at them in reply to.

The siblings had been told their father (who had been told by Gyomei) that Y/N was finally going to join Final Selection and hope they would see and be able to talk to them after the week was over. The two siblings missed Y/N.

"Everyone, we thank you for coming here tonight," The siblings spoke out in unison, "to the Demon Slayer Corps Final Selection." Kanata spoke first, "There are demons imprisoned here on Mt. Fujikasane, captured alive by the Demon Slayer swordsmen, and unable to leave."

Kiriya continued, "That is because wisteria, which demons hate so much, blooms even out of season from the bottom to halfway up the mountain." He stopped to let Kanata take over, "However, there is no wisteria from this point on, and so demons abound."

"You'll need to survive here for seven days to pass Final Selection." Kiriya finished their speech, now speaking in unison again, "And now, be on your way." The siblings both bowed, allowing the demon slayers to rush towards the mountain. In a blink, dust kicked up and Y/N was nowhere to be seen, making the other people gape where they had been stood.

'Do I want to fight as many demons as I can to test how much I can take?' Y/N questioned themselves, running in the forest. 'Hmm, I'll take it easy the first few days, that can be for later.'

A demon jumped out, ready to feast, but a sword was already cut through its neck, crescent moon shapes left in wake, cutting the flesh of the already dissolving demon.

'Moon Breathing: First Form: Dark Moon, Evening Palace.'

Y/N continued to run, making sure to contain their stamina and strength, they still had many hours until daybreak.

-

It had been two days since the start of Final Selection, and Y/N hadn't seen any other person, all they had socialised with was demons – which were then killed by them. They were surviving off berries (that weren't poisonous, thank God for Shinobu teaching them about which were poisonous or not).