Chapter 60

❝ where do we go running through the dark night?
the moonlight is the only guiding light
the pain and sadness can't be wiped away
but i won't let the blaze in my heart put out. ❞

- kizuna no kiseki (絆ノ奇跡), man with a mission (ft. milet).

[i cried writing this chapter

thank you for 300k. you guys are actually insane, and my genshin book is now published!]

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

Y/N smiled at the small demon in front of them as they tickled her stomach. Giggles leaving her lips as she wiggled about.

"You know, Nezuko..." Y/N murmured to her after helping the small demon up.

A small 'hmm' was heard, prompting the Moon Hashira to continue.

"I hope someday we'll be able to turn you back to a human..." Y/N only smiled at Nezuko, who stared at them with stars in her eyes. "I'll do whatever it takes to make you human again, whether that's fighting demons until I die, or even fighting Kibutsuji Muzan with my bare hands. I'd do it for you, and Tanjiro."

"Hmm, hmph!"

Y/N rolled their eyes playfully, patting Nezuko's head fondly, "Yes, yes. You won't allow me to do that, but I'd do anything for you. You're a part my family now, Nezuko..."

"... and I'd do anything for my family."

-

"No. No... no, no, no, no...No, please."

Y/N sobbed as they tried to get down the cliff as safely and as fast as possible. They couldn't lose anyone else. No. They wouldn't.

The sun was creeping closer, and Tanjiro was slowly getting closer to Nezuko.

Y/N could hear Tanjiro try to yell, but they focused on Nezuko who started to run towards her brother, closer to the sun.

Closer to death.

"Nezuko!"

Y/N grit their teeth together, having enough of the god damn cliff. Letting their hand slip off the rock they held onto and bent their knees. Feet hitting the hard ground, they felt something crack but the h/c haired ignored it and ran towards the burning demon.

"NEZUKO!"

-

"Hey... Nezuko-chan, I'll protect you from now on, okay? I'll be someone you can rely on."

-

'No... Gods, please no. Not another person. Please.'

Y/N felt tears well up even more as Tanjiro tucked the demon into his chest, trying to protect her, her screams of agony echoing around the surrounding area. Seeing her go into her small form - one that would usually tug at their heartstrings in a cute aggressive sort of way - but now only tugged their heartstrings with agony and sorrow.