chapter 13.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ your eyes, they glisten like the stars
you so lovely like the moon. ❞

- moon and stars, 1nonly.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

The fifteen-day wait was excruciatingly, painfully slow. Y/N felt like it was going in slow motion. They wished they could forward time, but they spent their time doing what they usually did before Final Selection, the anticipation for their sword to arrive squashed any feeling of normalcy they tried to achieve. At least Gyomei had stayed the same, although he could tell Y/N was more anxious than usual, due to the way they fluttered around the room, not staying in one spot any longer than a few minutes unless they were training or meditating. The only time they calmed down was when they went to visit the Ubuyashiki family, having someone to take their mind off it.

When the daily was finally there, Y/N didn't know what time the swordsmith would get there, so they decided to just go about their day as normal – training and practicing with their spare blade. The swordsmith came around midday, just when the sun was getting the hottest, even with the fresh blanket of snow on the ground.

Gyomei was the one to call for Y/N, telling them that their swordsmith was there. Y/N sped towards the engawa, leaving the katana on the floor (they picked it up after speaking with the swordsmith, don't worry). Sitting on the engawa was a man with a hyottoko mask, a woven hat sitting on the top of their head with wind chimes dangling from it that made little noises as it flowed with the gentle breeze. They had a sunflower-patterned haori on that fluttered with the wind, with a cloth wrapped around his head and on his back was what they assumed their sword was in, covered with a brown cloth.

When Y/N sat on the engawa in front of the swordsmith, the swordsmith's head snapped up to see them, "Hello, I am Haganezuka and I am L/N Y/N's swordsmith." He grabbed the box on his back and laid it on the engawa, "This is your nichirin sword, and I forged it. The materials for a Nichirin sword are obtained from the mountain closest to the sun. Scarlet Iron Sand and Scarlet ore," Y/N listened intensively, quite interested in the topic whilst Gyomei went inside and made some tea – he knew how Haganezuka was, and he had also heard this story a thousand times over. "These produce steel that can absord sunlight," Haganezuka stopped unwrapping the sword to point towards the sun, "Mt. Yoko is bathed in sunlight all day long."

Y/N nodded along to what Haganezuka was saying, and just as he finished it, he had unwrapped the sword and handed the unsheathed blade to Y/N. Gyomei came back with the tea, handing one to Haganezuka and putting one next to Y/N, far enough away that they wouldn't knock it with their new nichirin blade. Kazuha came and took perch on Gyomei's shoulder.

"I have a lucky feeling about this one." Haganezuka spoke, eyeing the blade with interest and not even noticing the tea.

The first thing Y/N noticed was the butterfly clip that was dangling from the sheathe, the chain that held it was green and pink just the butterfly and Y/N's heart warmed knowing they would have Kanae with them on their journey, the sheathe itself was a dark blue as well. They then held the sheathe with one hand and took the blade out with the other. Once the whole blade had been pulled out, they put the sheathe down and help the blade in both hands. The handle was a dark blue with silver parts, the handguard was a silver circle with four silver crescent moons.