chapter 16.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ in bad dreams,
in a cool world,
full of cruel things,
hang tight. ❞

- acid rain, lorn.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

A year had gone by slowly and surely. Y/N had gotten used to their new lifestyle – they barely saw Gyomei as when either one of them had a few days to spare, the other was on a mission. Shinobu had become a pillar a few months back, and Y/N made sure to make time to congratulate her – as well as visit Kanao. They had been able to visit Ubuyashiki family a few times as well.

They frequently sent letters to Nezuko (and by extension, Tanjiro and the rest of the family). They had been on too many missions to count and had only been able to visit the Kamado family in person one time, which was a month ago.

Currently, Y/N was on their way to yet another mission. A whole town had disappeared in one night, and Y/N was sent to investigate as they were the closest slayer to the town as they were resting just a village over, which was a few hours away.

Walking into the desolate town, it was dead silent. No sound was made, which made it even creepier. Y/N walked with their hand on their nichirin sword, guard up. Kazuha perched on their shoulder, also keeping an eye out (they had grown closer in the year, and they were like two peas in a pod now).

The town was covered in a haze of mist, obscuring Y/N's vision lightly but they moved forward, eager to get this over with. They had been on three missions straight after one another and hadn't had time to properly rest. The e/c eyed slayer just wanted some sleep.

They heard a cry, snapping their gaze towards the sound, having to squint, Y/N saw a silhouette crouched down by a house. Cautiously but quickly sauntered over, when they could see clearer, they could tell it was a young boy. They crouched in front of him, putting their hand on his shoulder.

"What happened here?"

The boy yelped but looked up, red eyes and a scared face, but relaxed slightly after seeing them, "He took them all."

"Who did?" Y/N prodded, needing more information.

"The demon, he took them." The boy quivered, shaking like a leaf, "I can show you."

Y/N nodded, holding out their hand for the boy to take, which he did. Once they were both up, the boy guided Y/N to the house at the end of the road – the largest one. The boy stopped in front of the house, pointing to the door. He seems almost transparent in the fog.

"He's in this house."

Y/N smiled internally, knowing exactly what was happening, but made sure to play along. They nodded, moving to the door and opened it without hesitation. In an instant, Y/N had their sword out and cut the demon's hand clean off, blood dripping from the wound.