chapter 15.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ i'm going to give you a handful of wildflowers
so, each petal that falls will remind you
that the earth breathes, and the moon rises. ❞

- carolyn riker.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

Y/N had been up for an hour, busy writing a letter to Gyomei and Shinobu so they wouldn't get worried. Nezuko had gotten up a few minutes ago but saw that Y/N was busy so didn't disturb them and went to see how the other family members were doing.

Putting the writing tool down and rolling the letters up, Y/N made their way to the window and whistled. A squawk was heard, and Kazuha landed on the windowsill.

"I hope you're doing well, Kazuha," Y/N whispered, using a finger to gentle pat the top of Kazuha's head, they then tied up the two letters with the string attached to Kazuha's foot, "could you send these to Gyomei-san and Shinobu-san please?" Kazuha nodded, and set off, flying in the direction of the two people.

With that done, Y/N made their way out of Nezuko's room so hear the family loudly conversing, yelling could be heard. Walking in, they saw Tanjiro trying to calm the younger ones down, whilst Nezuko was holding Rokuta, laughing with a large smile on her face.

Kie was just cooking, probably used to the loud noises. Y/N made their way to her, putting a hand on her shoulder, "Is there anything you need help with, Kamada-san?"

"No, it's alright, dear." Kie spoke with a soft voice, a small smile gracing her face, "Go sit down with the others, it'll be ready soon."

Y/N nodded, and went to sit down next to Nezuko, who they had grown a little close to whilst she had set up their futon. It felt like having a little sister, like Kanao.

Nezuko, who saw Y/N sit next to them, smiled. Letting her curiosity get the best of her she decided to ask a question she wanted to last night but thought best not to, "L/N-san, why do you carry a sword with you?"

"Oh, I just travel a lot." Y/N answered – they had left their sword back in Nezuko's room. "It's just a means to protect myself."

Tanjiro, who had been listening to them after calming down the yelling children (which was over who would sit next to Y/N) sat next to Y/N, claiming the spot (said children glared at him, but settled down next to their older brother and sister), spoke up, ever the sweet one, "Why would you need to protect yourself?"

"There are a lot of monsters out there, Kamado-san."

Before either of the eldest siblings could say anything, Kie can told them the food was ready, putting it down.

"Itadakimasu."

-

After the meal, Nezuko was able to convince Y/N to say for the day. They knew they would have to set off late afternoon in case Kazuha gave them a new mission. Normally, slayers would get a few missions back-to-back, but it seemed like Kazuha wanted them to have this time with the family. Y/N didn't mind this. They liked this little family, it was a bit dysfunctional (and loud), but it was cute, and it warmed their heart seeing such love in it, especially as the only family they could remember was Gyomei.