chapter 67

❝ think i'll miss you forever
like the stars miss the sun in the morning sky
later's better than never
even if you're gone, i'm gonna drive. ❞

- summertime sadness, lana del ray.

[ it's 7:26am and here's a birthday chapter! happy birthday to me!

[ it's 7:26am and here's a birthday chapter! happy birthday to me! ...i feel like i might regret saying this; i'm turning 20... anyways, enjoy this chapter, it's getting good. :)]

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

"Oh... how lovely of you to join us, Y/N-chan." Douma continued to smile that cold, terrifying smile of his. "You're here just in time to witness this butterfly's wings being clipped."

With a singular, resounding snap, Douma broke Shinobu's neck and brought her to his chest, her broken, lifeless head limping onto his shoulder. Her sword falling from her gasp, and clattering to the ground.

Y/N couldn't move; frozen.

Douma licked his fingers, which were covered in Shinobu's bloods and chuckled. "Now that all those... both of those pesky butterfly friends of yours are gone... We can finally be friends again, Y/N-chan."

"...What?" Was all Y/N could mutter. Shock reverberating through their body like electric shocks, nerves on fire.

Douma ignored them, licking the last drop of blood from his free hand, the other still cradling Shinobu. "Although... she wasn't as tasty as her- what did she call her? Her sister?" He sighed, a delightful smile on his face as his rainbow eyes made contact with e/c ones again. "I had to kill them, they were getting in the way of our friendship, weren't they? That- ah, yes. You called her Kanae. She made you break your promise to me, so I obviously had to get rid of her... Then this fiery butterfly came after her, and I have waited for this moment for so long..."

"But if you become a Demon Slayer, I'll be forced to kill someone close to you!"

Y/N didn't know they could feel so many things at once - betrayal, guilt, sadness, rage, understanding - all of these emotions swirled in their heart like a tempest, waiting to twist and explode, overwhelmingly and violently.

"You..." Y/N's normally soft-spoken voice was like subdued thunder - deep, gravelling and ominous. "You killed Kanae and Shinobu, for me?"

Douma raised his eyebrows, eyes crinkling into crescent moons as he smiled. "Yes, I did. And now we can finally be happy, Y/N-chan, after so long! You could at least be a bit more enthusiastic!"

Y/N's whole body shook, clenching their fists and tightening their grip on the handle of their Nichirin blade. Slow, small breathes escaped their lips as they grit their teeth together, jaw locking in place.

"How could I be happy?" Y/N muttered darkly, their dimmed, shadowed e/c eyes locking with the despicable rainbow ones. "How could I be happy when you killed people I care about?"