Chapter 41

~~~~~Still in Ren's POV when she's in her coma like state~~~~~

Death. That's what it feels like when maids try to tighten your corset so much that you can't bend over without it digging into your stomach. It's one of those under corsets all the Royals wear.

"Lady Katherine if you do not stay still we will have to start over," One of the maids say from behind. My guess is it's the one tying this thing from hell on me. I finally grip the edge of the white vanity in the Queen's old dress-room. After one last tug, it's done.

"Why do we wear these," I ask panting. My eyes follow her as she walks around me to get the metal wiring for the skirt.

"You have to get a mans attention somehow," She says with a wink, "It's not all bust and beauty. I thin waist and proper posture and manners. It's a little bold to say, but I think Prince Jackson has his eyes set on you. "

" That was a bit bold," I respond still panting. She hooks the skirt around my waist.

"My apologies," she says politely. I blow a piece of my brown curls out of my face that has become loose of my hair cloth.

• • • • • • •

"And you say he picked it out," I say.

"Yes. And you look stunning. "

"He got the idea from my red cloak. "I mumble looking in the mirror at my dress. The sleeves are lace and end at my hands. The skirt is big and has layers and layers with ruffles(and very heavy.) The color is bright red and the top shows a lot of bust.

"Men. . ." I mumble. My body pivots towards her.

"Oh my," She says with a smile brushing a piece of her blonde hair out of her face. She grasps my shoulders, "You look wonderful."

"Thank you," I say, "I never got your name. "

"Riley," She says with a smile. "Now, go show the princes. "

"Uh, I'll just uh hang out here." I respond trying to sit down, only to fall to the floor instead.

"No, go to the ball, fall in love, trust me it'll be fun," Riley insists. Her hands grip my arms and pull me off the floor, and shoves me out the door. My feet trip on the bottom of the gown and I fall to the hard wood floor.

"Well that was graceful," A familiar voice says. Price Fricken Charming. Great.

I push myself up and look him dead in the eyes before speaking, "What are you doing here, Prince Charming?"

"I'm getting ready for the ball of course," He responds walking over, "You look beautiful you know. "

"I really don't care how I look," I say in the most bored tone I can while I slightly shake my head with half closed eyes.

"Why do you hate me," He asks coming closer to me, "I haven't done anything wrong."

"You killed my mother," I spit out. My whole body turns around and walks down the long hall to the grand stair case leaving the soon to be king there alone.

My heels click against the stone stairs in the empty room. The guests have yet to arrive, and for that I'm glad. All of this, the balls, dresses, and princes just feels totally wrong.

I walk out into the gardens. The red and white roses shine in the golden light of the setting sun. It's pretty silent, except for the sound of the forest which lies at the edge of the garden hedges. I aimlessly walk the gravel paths. My fingertips glide across the tops of the knee high bushes. The thorns dig into my fingers a bit, but not so much I bleed.