𝐱𝐢𝐯. a hot mess

"did you finally get your
chance to dance along
the light of day?"

THAT NIGHT, BENNIE SLEPT OVER AT RED'S HOUSE. Not because she was scared of her brother. She was smart enough to know that Topper wasn't himself, but instead to feel more comfortable and maybe get some sleep.

That was just the type of person Red was to Bennie. She was like a big sister, but somehow more. And it was easy to tell everyone of the pogues were fulfilling that role alongside Red.

It especially warmed the girl when she saw JJ acting as a brother to Bennie. She couldn't explain it, but it was something about JJ getting along so easily with everyone- or mostly everyone- that did something to her.

Red was able to convince Bennie's hysterical state to pretend to be asleep so Victor wouldn't suspect anything execpt that maybe Bennie fell asleep while hanging out because that had happened before.

Pope promised to wait in the Twinkie for JJ to get out, as Bennie was now too big for Red to carry her like she once had when Bennie was a toddler.

The van pulled into the sideyard again, this time containing Pope, who would stay low-key as JJ and Red were in the house.

It might not have been the best idea for Red to bring JJ in the house too, but she couldn't carry Bennie, and if she had a good excuse and stayed quiet, maybe she could get away with it.

She was sure her dad wouldn't be thrilled with the fact of JJ being in the house, but it was a good reason.

Red quietly opened the door to the house and shooshed JJ one last time as he held the girl like a child in his arms.

Red closed the door, checking to see if her dad was there, and Lo and behold, there he sat on his phone on the couch.

Now she had to be very quiet sneaking Bennie up the stairs that lay not far from where her dad sat.